Mini-Review : Stay With Me by J.Lynn

Summary (from Goodreads) 

Title : Stay With Me (Wait for You #3)
Author : J.Lynn

Publication Date : September 23rd 2014
Publisher : William Morrow
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble


At 21, Calla hasn’t done a lot of things. She’s never been kissed, never seen the ocean, never gone to an amusement park. But growing up, she witnessed some things no child ever should. She still carries the physical and emotional scars of living with a strung-out mother, Mona—secrets she keeps from everyone, including her close circle of college friends.

But the safe cocoon Calla has carefully built is shattered when she discovers her mom has stolen her college money and run up a huge credit card debt in her name. Now, Calla has to go back to the small town she thought she'd left behind and clean up her mom’s mess again. Of course, when she arrives at her mother’s bar, Mona is nowhere to be found. Instead, six feet of hotness named Jackson James is pouring drinks and keeping the place humming.

Sexy and intense, Jax is in Calla’s business from the moment they meet, giving her a job and helping her search for Mona. And the way he looks at her makes it clear he wants to get horizontal . . . and maybe something more. Before Calla can let him get close, though, she’s got to deal with the pain of the past—and some very bad guys out to mess her up if she doesn’t give them her mom.


Personal Thoughts
Sadly, this is the only J.L.A series that works for me. I've enjoyed every book in the series but Stay With Me was just plain disappointing and grated on my nerves a few times. J.Lynn excels at writing yummy male characters, but Jax in this book really bugged by how protective he was of Calla. I enjoy an alpha-male as much as everyone, but Jax was a little too much for me. Another pet peeve of mine is when guys in books start calling their love interests from their first meeting an endearment. Jax calls Calla "honey" from their first encounter and it grated on my nerves so much. I know, it's a bit preposterous, but those are some things that really annoy me. And then there was Armentrout's writing in itself. Sometimes, she tries TOO hard to make her characters sound modern and cool, like saying thing like "totes ma gotes", or "oh my lawd". And to makes things worst, these phrases were repeated about 5 million times throughout the book. The characters in Stay With Me were also severely underdeveloped, especially Jax, the love interest. We find out nothing about his character other than his stint in the military. For me, the romance wasn't swoon-worthy as the other books have been either. There was also a plot involving a drug lord that had me laughing at how ridiculous and unbelievable it was because of the way it wrapped up. I rolled my eyes a few times during this book! I seem to be a black sheep when it comes to this book though, so even if I didn't like it, you might want to give it a shot.

Rating 

Cover : 3/5
Plot : 2/5
Characters : 1/5
Writing : 2/5

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)