Review : Earth & Sky by Megan Crewe

Summary (from Goodreads) 

Title : Earth & Sky (Earth & Sky #1)
Author : Megan Crewe

Publication Date : October 28th 2014
Publisher : Skyscape
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble

Seventeen-year-old Skylar has been haunted for as long as she can remember by fleeting yet powerful sensations that something is horribly wrong. But despite the panic attacks tormenting her, nothing ever happens, and Sky’s beginning to think she’s crazy. Then she meets a mysterious, otherworldly boy named Win and discovers the shocking truth her premonitions have tapped into: our world no longer belongs to us. For thousands of years, Earth has been at the mercy of alien scientists who care nothing for its inhabitants and are using us as the unwitting subjects of their time-manipulating experiments. Win belongs to a rebel faction seeking to put a stop to it, and he needs Skylar’s help--but with each shift in the past, the very fabric of reality is unraveling, and soon there may be no Earth left to save.
 
Personal Thoughts

I've been really digging this YA science fiction phase that I've been going through. I'm usually not a fan of the genre, but my interest was piqued by reading the blurb of Earth & Sky. Plus, I had heard some amazing things about Megan Crewe and I figured I should probably read something by her. Earth & Sky wasn't the perfect book, but it's one that I thoroughly enjoyed reading and a series that definitely has the potential to turn amazing.

It's rare for a alien book to be dull and Earth & Sky definitely proved that. The reader is thrust into the midst of this world that is being observed by aliens immediately and from the start, there was non-stop action. Earth & Sky excelled at the world building. Not only do we have aliens, but we also have time traveling which actually made sense. I liked how everything really came together along with the plot and the world building. The plot too was beyond exciting. Unexpected twists and turns were scattered all over the book which only multiplied my enjoyment of the story. One of my only complaints about Earth & Sky has to be the lack of romance. I'm a very romance-driven reader and enjoy romances in my books. While there was a budding relationship between Skylar and Win, it was very minimal. While I appreciated the slow pace of the romance, the die-hard romantic in me craved a little bit more swoony scenes between them. I have no doubt that the romance will bloom further in the next book, so I wouldn't consider that a huge issue.

Both Skylar and Win were interesting characters. Skylar as a protagonist, especially, has the potential to be amazing over the course of the series. She was intelligent and took everything with a grain of salt, which was a rather refreshing personality trait in YA heroine. She also enjoyed Math which made me delightfully happy because it was easy to bond with her over her love for Math. Win, too, was a character I easily liked because of how genuine he was. I loved that he was so caring towards Skylar and watching a friendship develop between him and Skylar was very sweet. I did wish we got to know the secondary characters a bit better. They were slightly underdeveloped, but with the way things ended I think we're going to see more of them in the next installment.

Earth & Sky was an entertaining read and offered something unique in the YA scifi genre. The next book will feature of the aliens, I assume, and I'm already looking forward to meeting them.

Rating 

Cover : 4/5
Plot : 4/5
Characters : 3/5
Writing : 4/5


Thank you to NetGalley and Skyscape for the e-ARC of Earth & Sky. 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)