Review : Loop by Karen Akins

Summary (from Goodreads) 

Title : Loop (Loop #1)
Author : Karen Akins

Publication Date : October 21st 2014
Publisher : St. Martin's Press
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble

 At a school where Quantum Paradox 101 is a required course and history field trips are literal, sixteen year-old time traveler Bree Bennis excels…at screwing up.

After Bree botches a solo midterm to the 21st century by accidentally taking a boy hostage (a teensy snafu), she stands to lose her scholarship. But when Bree sneaks back to talk the kid into keeping his yap shut, she doesn’t go back far enough. The boy, Finn, now three years older and hot as a solar flare, is convinced he’s in love with Bree, or rather, a future version of her that doesn’t think he’s a complete pain in the arse. To make matters worse, she inadvertently transports him back to the 23rd century with her.

Once home, Bree discovers that a recent rash of accidents at her school are anything but accidental. Someone is attacking time travelers. As Bree and her temporal tagalong uncover seemingly unconnected clues—a broken bracelet, a missing data file, the art heist of the millennium—that lead to the person responsible, she alone has the knowledge to piece the puzzle together. Knowledge only one other person has. Her future self.

But when those closest to her become the next victims, Bree realizes the attacker is willing to do anything to stop her. In the past, present, or future. 


Personal Thoughts 


I tend to struggle with YA sci-fi books, especially ones that deal with time travel. I haven't had much luck in the past, but I still wanted to read Loop because of the cover (which made me assume that there would be a lot of kissing going on). Having read Loop, I can safely say it's one of my favorite YA sci-fi books.

Loop's main character Bree was very likeable from the start. I knew that I would have a great relationship with her as soon as I got to be inside of her head. She is the kind of heroine I like to live vicariously through because she was bold, feisty, courageous and adventurous, completely unlike me of course. It's also easy to become invested her story and her quests because there was something about her voice that made her seem realistic and genuine. She encountered some crazy situations in this book, but I loved how she calmly she attempted to solve her problems. Her love interest, Finn, was a sweetheart as well. He was completely adorable with how supportive he was of Bree and I loved that he never gave up on her no matter how hard she tried to push him away. I didn't think he got a chance to really shine as a character in Loop, but I do think he'll play a bigger and more pivotal role in the subsequent books. That's not to say he was absent throughout the book. In fact, a huge portion of the plot revolved around him, but I think I wanted to see him more at the forefront with Bree instead of in the sidelines.

I also wasn't entirely convinced of their romance, mostly because we know Finn has a huge crush on Bree or future Bree, but we never got to see much of Bree's feelings until the end because her mind was elsewhere. For a book with a kissing cover, there was very little kissing and I think I might have been a teensy bit disappointed with that. While the romance might not have been Loop's forte, the plot was. It was crazy phenomenal! It started off with an action-packed scene and the book never slowed down. We were thrown one crazy twist after the other and I loved every moment of reading Loop because of it. The world building too was relatively easy to understand compared to other time travel books I've read, but there were parts that I found a bit confusing.

Loop was a great debut and fabulous start to a new YA series. It was intense, action-packed and a crazy roller-coaster ride that had me gasping for breath multiple times. Fans of the genre shouldn't neglect this book!

Rating 

Cover : 4/5
Plot : 4/5
Characters : 3/5
Writing : 3/5

**Overall Rating : 3.5/5**


Thank you to NetGalley and St.Martin's Press for the e-ARC of Loop.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)