Review : To Tempt a Seal by Sarah Jane Stone

Summary (from Goodreads) 

Title : To Tempt a Seal (Sin City SEALs #1)
Author : Sarah Jane Stone
Publication Date :  June 30th 2015
Publisher : Brazen

Goodreads - Amazon

For the first time in her life, social worker Lucia Lewis is ready to live. And the masquerade ball in Las Vegas is just the place to find a ridiculously hot guy to complete her wicked to-do list. The only rule? Her elegant Venetian mask—which conceals the scars that have always held her back from the life she deserves—stays on.

Navy SEAL Cade Daniels heads to Vegas on a mission to keep his best friend's little sister out of trouble. Except the woman he’s sent to find is all heat and flame…and perfectly capable of handling herself. And him. But the moment Lucia's mask slips, the need to heal her, body and soul, is complete and absolute temptation.

But revealing himself could cost him the one thing he isn't willing to risk...his heart.


Personal Thoughts

I was drawn to To Tempt a Seal because of the synopsis. How often do you get a good romance book featuring a character who isn't physically perfect? While To Tempt a Seal was a hot and sexy read, I sadly, didn't think it was an emotional book that made me want to believe that the relationship between the couple went beyond sex.

Lucia flies to Vegas in the hopes of finding a man who would be willing to fulfill all her fantasies in a night. She finds that man in Cade. She doesn't know that he was sent by her elder sister, Natalie, to look after her. Lucia was a very insecure woman. An incident with a foster parent had left her face scarred and she also struggled with her weight. She was easy to sympathize with and I wanted to give the girl a hug. I was proud of her for going after what she wanted with Cade. With the help of Cade, she realizes that her scarred face does not define her and that she can feel beautiful. Cade was pretty much the typical romantic military man. Good hearted, sexy and possessive. I didn't like that he kept his friendship with Lucia's sister a secret from Lucia after becoming involved with her, but in an odd way I understood where he was coming from. The sexual chemistry between Lucia and Cade was off the charts. These two were hot together and there were lots of scenes that attested to that. I think one of my issues with To Tempt a Seal was that there was a bit too much sex. I know Brazen books are supposed to be all about the sexy times but I like how the emotional relationship balances out all the sex. In To Tempt a Seal, I didn't think there was much of a balance. I never got the feeling that Cade and Lucia got to know each other besides the surface. So when the "I love yous" came after like 2 days dominated by sex, I was taken aback. That being said, To Tempt a Seal was certainly entertaining and I liked the author's writing a lot. I hope Jack, Cade's friend, and Natalie get a book of their own. Speaking of Natalie, I wish her relationship with Lucia was explored further in this book. The two seemed to share an emotional closeness despite being far apart, so I was a little let down that their relationship wasn't portrayed more.

In the end, To Tempt a Seal was an entertaining read, but I wanted a bit more to feel emotionally connected with the characters and their romance. I would still recommend this book if you're looking for a quick, sexy read.

Rating 

Cover : 3/5
Plot : 3/5
Characters : 3/5
Writing : 3/5



Thank you to NetGalley and Entangled for the e-ARC of To Tempt a Seal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)