Review : The Wondrous and the Wicked by Page Morgan

Summary (from Goodreads) 

Title : The Wondrous and the Wicked (The Dispossessed #3)
Author : Page Morgan

Publication Date : April 14th 2015
Publisher : Delacorte Books
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble

For fans of Lauren Kate's Fallen series comes the exciting conclusion to the trilogy that includes The Beautiful and the Cursed and The Lovely and the Lost. The Waverly sisters must save themselves before all is lost.

Since the Waverlys arrived in Paris, the streets have grown more fearsome by the day. As Ingrid learns to master her lectrux gift, she must watch Axia's power grow strong enough to extend beyond her Underneath hive. By all indications, the fallen angel's Harvest is near-and the timing couldn't be worse.

Targeted by vengeful gargoyles, Gabby has been exiled to London for her own protection. Meanwhile, the gargoyle castes are in disarray, divided between those who want Luc to lead them and those who resent him and his fondness for humans. The Alliance is crumbling from the inside as well, its members turning against one another, and possibly against the Waverlys, too.

Axia has promised that the world will burn. And now, unable to trust the Alliance, separated from Luc, Gabby, and her twin, Grayson, Ingrid is left to face the demon uprising alone.


Personal Thoughts

Reading this series has been quite possibly one of the best experiences of this summer for me. I've come to love and cherish these characters so dearly. Just the thought that I won't be able to meet them again causes me anguish. The Wondrous and the Wicked, as a finale, was epic in so many ways. It was satisfying, heart-breaking and made me feel all the feels.

I loved how far these characters have come from the first book. Both Ingrid and Gaby have had to overcome so much at their young age. I was proud of them and loved how much more mature they were as compared to the first book. I'm especially pleased with Gaby having accomplished so much and finally coming to terms with who she really was. I loved that she was no longer the immature, flighty girl that she was in the first book - she's now a brave young woman, comfortable in her own skin. Ingrid, too, continued to amaze me in The Wondrous and the Wicked. This girl has suffered so much, yet she continued to raise her head high and faced every obstacle with a brave face. She was definitely a main character worth rooting for. We also got the added POV of Grayson, their brother, in The Wondrous and the Wicked. He was still dealing with a lot when it came to his curse, and he had still not come to peace with it. Grayson, however, did take the necessary steps so that he was on the path to healing and to protect his sisters. One of my favorite things about this series is the loyalty and love that exists between these siblings. They would do anything to protect each other, even put themselves in the face of danger. I loved how strong their bond was.

The romances continued to be complicated, especially when it came to Ingrid's. Hers and Luke's relationship was still forbidden because of Luke being a gargoyle, but there was so much passion between them despite the strenuous circumstances they repeatedly faced. I never doubted for once that they deserved to be together. Grayson too got his chance at love with Chelle. They were sweet together and I also found myself shipping this third couple. As far as the plot goes, in The Wondrous and the Wicked, Ingrid and the gang were getting ready to face Axia in a final battle. This villain has never been at the forefront of the series, in that we don't get to see her face to face often, but her darkness and evilness constantly loomed over the books. While I was fascinated by her, I was also ready for her to die a slow miserable death for everything that she has put through these characters too. The final battle wasn't without casualties and one death in particular really hit me in the chest. I had grown to love this character so much, so when it happened I was shocked, heartbroken and kept hoping that he/she would rise from the dead somehow. It especially ached because this was a character who had grown tremendously throughout the series. That being said, it wouldn't have been realistic for all of the characters to have come out alive when facing such a twisted villain, so I understood what Page Morgan was trying to do.

Dark, brutal and romantic, The Wondrous and the Wicked was a brilliant series conclusion. I'm heartbroken over certain events, but I'm also pleased with the way the book wrapped up. I feel like this is an underrated series that deserves so much more love, so if you have yet to read this series, do yourself a favor and binge-read them.

Rating 

Cover : 4/5
Plot : 4/5
Characters : 4/5
Writing : 4/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)