Review : The Lovely and the Lost by Page Morgan

Summary (from Goodreads) 

Title : The Lovely and the Lost (The Dispossessed #2)
Author : Page Morgan

Publication Date : May 13th 2014
Publisher : Delacorte Books
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble

Gabby and Ingrid may have saved their brother, but their journey is far from over. Ingrid must learn how to control her powers before they begin to control her. She wishes Luc would help her, but he's refusing... Meanwhile Gabby has thrown herself into the Alliance, despite the eye patch she now wears thanks to a hellhound. But there are major changes afoot. When Nolan returns from the trials of the traitorous Alliance members he brings his father and his cousin, whose first order is to remove Chelle, Ingrid, and Gabby from their duties - women are no longer welcome.

But Paris needs hunters, especially now murder is sweeping the city again. Whole families are being slaughtered in their sleep, at the dinner table - even while out in the family carriage. Just who or what is behind these slayings? The action, romance, and devastatingly dark secrets revealed in THE BEAUTIFUL AND THE CURSED continue as Ingrid and Gabby fight for their loves, their lives and their city.


Personal Thoughts

Having loved The Beautiful and the Cursed, I was eager to get to The Lovely and the Lost. With how events tied up in the previous book, I couldn't wait to continue on with the characters and see where the story would take me. The Lovely and the Lost, was a fantastic sequel, one even stronger than the debut, in my opinion. By the end, I was hooked line and sinker into this series.

One of the most glaring parts of this sequel has to be the character development. Each and everyone of these characters has undergone a tremendous amount of growth from the previous installment and in The Lovely and the Lost, they continued to grow, becoming more confident in themselves. In the first book, I mentioned in my review that I had a fondness over Ingrid as a protagonist. That switched in The Lovely and the Lost when I found myself drifting more towards Gabby's character. The maturity and confidence that she has acquired over the course of the books was outstanding. I admired her so much for how she dealt with the aftermath of The Beautiful and the Cursed. Not only does she not sit around and wallow in grief over the loss of one of her biggest assets, she funnels it into something more positive instead, learning to get over the fact that she wasn't gifted like her siblings were. She has grown into a strong and confident young woman and I couldn't be prouder of her. Hers and Nolan's relationship continued to deepen and gave me the butterflies when they were together. Nolan could be a flirty rascal at times, but he had a heart made of gold and was incredibly supportive of Gabby and never stopped making her feel beautiful. That was one boy after my own heart!

Ingrid, too, continued to be a fantastic character, fighting to protect those she loved. Her relationship with Luc was very frayed in this one. It hurt my heart to see the two of them wanting to be together, but still not being able to because of gargoyle-humans relationships being forbidden. Her romance did turn a bit triangley, but it weirdly didn't bother me as much because Ingrid did favor Luc, no matter what, and she did repeatedly state that. Still, I would have been happier if she hadn't developed any feelings for Vander in the first place. All in all, the romances really hurt (in a good way)! In The Lovely and the Lost we also get the POV of Grayson, who surprised me because of how much I ended up liking him. He was also dealing with his curse and slowly coming to terms with it. I felt like everything about The Lovely and the Lost heightened, including the plot. It was a lot more exciting than the first book and set up the stage for the final battle in book 3. I also loved how the author expanded on her world building. We learn more about the angels, the Order and the Alliance. The paranormal and historical parts of the book fused beautifully together once again. I especially loved how much darker and gothic The Lovely and the Lost got.

The Lovely and the Lost was a great sequel, building up on the first book, with some amazing character and plot development. This series is quickly becoming one of my favorite YA series. Page Morgan is a talented author and if you haven't read this series, definitely give it a shot.

Rating 

Cover : 4/5
Plot : 4/5
Characters : 4/5
Writing : 4/5



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)