Review : Shooting Stars by Allison Rushby

Summary (from Goodreads)

Meet Josephine Foster, or Zo Jo as she’s called in the biz. 

The best pint-sized photographer of them all, Jo doesn’t mind doing what it takes to get that perfect shot, until she’s sent on an undercover assignment to shoot Ned Hartnett—teen superstar and the only celebrity who’s ever been kind to her—at an exclusive rehabilitation retreat in Boston. 

The money will be enough to pay for Jo’s dream: real photography classes, and maybe even quitting her paparazzi gig for good. 

Everyone wants to know what Ned’s in for. 

But Jo certainly doesn’t know what she’s in for: falling in love with Ned was never supposed to be part of her assignment.


Personal Thoughts

YA contemporary books are a favorite of mine. They are perfect if you're aiming for something cute and light. That's exactly what I was expecting when I went into Shooting Stars and cute it was!

The main character, Zo Jo, is a teenager by day and a paparazzo by night. Because of her tiny size, getting shots of celebrities isn't such a difficult job. Although she's employed and well-paid, Jo's dream is actually to go to photography school. Unfortunately, she doesn't have the means to do so. Luck strikes her when she is contacted to shoot pictures of Ned Hartnett, the hottest and most popular teenage superstar, at a rehab.  Only thing is Jo will have to go undercover to do so, but she's not sure if she wants to betray Ned.

Jo was an adorable main character. She was sweet and seriously down-to-earth. What I liked most about her was her strong drive to achieve her dreams. She reminded me a lot of myself since I'm pretty much like that. Jo wasn't afraid to do whatever she had to do in order to reach her goals. Her independence was one of her most admirable personality trait. Because her father constantly flies abroad for his work, Jo has learned to live by herself and to depend on no one. Unlike many of 16 year old girls in books, Jo wasn't whiny and annoying. In fact, I'd say that she was mature and quite likable. It was easy to relate to her since she was a smart girl who didn't take foolish decisions. On the outside, Jo seemed like a tough girl, but inside she was actually trying to bury her own emotions. When she took up the undercover job, she knew somewhere deep within her that it wasn't the right thing to do. It annoyed me a little that she was doing the job although she knew very well that she was wrong. However, towards the end, Jo matured a lot and it dawned on her that money wasn't everything. Seeing her emotional and intellectual growth was really enjoyable!

The romance in the book was seriously very cute. It may have occurred in a short period of time, but it didn't seem so while I read the book. Jo's relationship, in fact, developed from friendship. The characters got to know each other really well before jumping into a relationship and it was easy to see why they fell for each other. The slow pace of the romance made it seem quite realistic and I loved every moment of it.

The book had an interesting set of secondary characters. I especially loved the interaction between Jo and the people she met in the rehabilitation center. It's because of them that Jo pours out the hurt that she felt due to her mother. However, I wished we got to see a lot more from Jo's father. Somehow, I found it odd that her father left her by herself for such long periods.

I'll be very honest. The book is very predictable in certain aspects. However, the author surprised me on a couple of instances by twists and curves that I really did not see coming. That's always a good thing, because I love books that prove me wrong. Allison Rushby's writing is simple and flows smoothly. Following the writing was very easy. My favorite part of the story has to be the activities that they participate in when they are in rehab.

Overall, Shooting Stars was a quick, cute and delightful read that's perfect for a day at the beach! With it's likable characters, appealing plot and sugar-sweet romance, Shooting Stars will win your heart!

Rating

Cover : 4/5
Plot : 3/5
Characters : 4/5
Writing : 4/5






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)