Review : The Catastrophic History Of You And Me by Jess Rothenberg

Summary (from Goodreads)

 Dying of a broken heart is just the beginning.... Welcome to forever.

BRIE'S LIFE ENDS AT SIXTEEN: Her boyfriend tells her he doesn't love her, and the news breaks her heart—literally.

But now that she's D&G (dead and gone), Brie is about to discover that love is way more complicated than she ever imagined. Back in Half Moon Bay, her family has begun to unravel. Her best friend has been keeping a secret about Jacob, the boy she loved and lost—and the truth behind his shattering betrayal. And then there's Patrick, Brie's mysterious new guide and resident Lost Soul . . . who just might hold the key to her forever after.

With Patrick's help, Brie will have to pass through the five stages of grief before she's ready to move on. But how do you begin again, when your heart is still in pieces?


Personal Thoughts

The Catastrophic History Of You And Me is a contemporary novel with a streak of paranormal to it. When I first saw the cover and read the summary, I was intrigued and I couldn't wait to read this book.

The book's main character, Brie, is dead. She dies of a heart break (her heart literally breaks into half) when her boyfriend Jacob, whom she really loves, announces that he doesn't love her. But Brie isn't gone from Earth yet. In fact, she's back as a ghost and is seeing the actions of every person in her life. She, thus, begins to spy on them.
Brie was a character who was stubborn, sometimes very annoying and immature. There were certain moments when I strongly disliked her. Her actions or thoughts bothered me a lot considering she was dead and all. However, at times, I found her to be caring, sweet and passionate. When I finished the book, I sat down at thought about her character because while reading, I couldn't make up my mind on whether I liked her or not. After much thinking, I came to the conclusion that I understood her personality changes. The girl had been betrayed and she had passed away at such a young age. She was struggling with the fact that she would no longer be able to talk to the people she loves and this made her feel very insecure. She did some very harsh things in the book, but she pretty much evolved into someone better and underwent tremendous growth when she came to realize her mistake. Overall, although Brie had some bratty moments, I liked her as a main character. I thought she was easy to relate to. 

Patrick is another ghost who helps Brie move on from the Earth. Now, he was the complete opposite of Brie. While she was moody and acted slightly bratty, he was always joyful bringing a smile to my face whenever he was present in a scene. He was the epitome of sweetness. He was so fun loving and always trying to make Brie laugh. I really liked his character, because although he was dead, he didn't act like it was the worst thing that could have happened to him. Instead, he seemed so cheerful. I loved how he helped Brie over and over again and I loved how he made fun of her sometimes.

Patrick and Brie don't fall in love very fast. If you're expecting a book heavy on the romance, then this isn't the book for you. In fact, the romantic aspect of the story stays very gradually and becomes important only towards the end of the novel. I loved that Jess Rothenberg didn't concentrate too much on the romance because I'm sure that it would have ruined the beauty of the story.

The secondary characters in the book consisted of Brie's loved ones from Earth and one other ghost. After Brie's death, each and every person who were part of Brie's life and loved her, goes through troubles and problems of their own and they all had to deal with them. Reading about them broke my heart sometimes, but I enjoyed them so much that I couldn't wait to see how things would end.

The story is about Brie trying to move one. It's not realistic at all, so if you're bothered by things that are beyond your imagination, then I don't suggest you read this book. I admit that there were some aspects of the book that I found were a bit far-fetched. (I won't mention them because it will spoil things for you readers)

Jess Rothenberg writes beautifully. The writing was simple and easy to follow. I loved following Brie and her adventures. For a debut novel, I thought it was excellent. It might seem like a light novel, but it's a lot more deeper than that.
It's a story about love, loss, friendship, betrayal, misunderstandings and family all blended together.

Overall, I enjoyed reading The Catastrophic History Of You And Me. It was an emotional but fun book.

Rating

Cover : 5/5
Plot : 4/5
Characters : 4/5
Writing : 4/5




Comments

  1. This sounds SO good I've been meaning to order a copy I don't think I've seen one bad review on it. I def. need a change of all these dark books I've been reading lately as well. Wonderful review Nick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book has got good reviews all over! Far-fetched yet beautiful sounds good! I can't wait to read this one. Thanks for your review :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just finished that one yesterday and I loved it!! I loved Brie, as bratty and annoying as she was because she felt real to me! I loved Patrick - yeah who wouldn't! The scenes with Jacob made me cry and I laughed when she was together with Patrick! There were every emotions involved!

    It was heartbreaking, lovely, cute and wonderful! :-) Glad you enjoyed it too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I have been wanting to get my hands on the book for ages and I'm glad that you had the opportunity to read and enjoy it. Reading your thoughts on Brie and Patrick makes me want to read to learn more about them, about who they are, their background, where they stand with each other. Everything about them. As long as Brie isn't obnoxiously bratty throughout the book I think that I can handle her. I'm not sure as to how I'll react to the far-fetched happenings but I guess I won't know until I try! Thank you for the review :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great story to me :) I love characters who bring a smile to my face! Great review Nick, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I loved this one as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Giselle
    You really should get a copy! I'm sure you'll love it!

    @Ajoop
    You should definitely read it ! It was pretty awesome :)

    @Danny
    I'm so glad you liked it too! Yeah, it was all very emotional!

    @Shortskie
    You should try it! I look forward to reading your thoughts :)

    @Vicky
    Then, you'll love this book! :)

    @Jenni
    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it when love gradually grows. I don't like the whole BAM I'm in love because he is gorgeous type of love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I swear it is like you are reading my tbr shelf and reading everything I have yet to get a chance to pull off my shelf.

    I do love the sound of this one and I'm glad that while it tackles big issues that it was still easy to read and enjoyable.

    Thanks for the great review, glad you liked this one :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)