Review + Author Interview : Neophyte by Emmalee Aple

Summary (from Goodreads)

Addisyn White thought she had her new life, her after life, all figured out. Granted death had not brought her to the pearly white gates, she hadn’t even left Earth. 

But death had its perks; she got to live forever with her best friend and her assigned Link of Angels, in a beautiful beach house. Even with the changes she was going through to turn her human body into an angelic one, everything seemed pretty easy. 

Until a gray winged angel comes into her life, then all the secrets and lies her Link had been keeping start crumbling away, exposing a whole new world of dangers she didn’t even know about.

Now Addisyn must fill in the blanks before things escalate too far. Will she save her Link? Or will she be buried in their secrets forever?


Personal Thoughts

First of all, I'd like to thank the author for having sent me a copy of her book for review.
When I first got the book, I had no idea of what to expect. Angels and I have not gotten along very well, in the past, but I still decided to give this one a try. I'm going to be honest, I don't like the cover too much. I'll be writing a mini-review for this one since I feel like I'll give away too much if I write my usual long review!
 
The book introduces us to Addisyn (how do you pronounce that ? Addi - sin or Addi-sine) who has recently died and has returned as an angel. She lives with 5 other angels in a group known in the book as a "Link". She soon realizes that her Link has been keeping secrets from her and they refuse to give her answers right away in order to protect her.
 
As soon as the book starts, there's action. It intrigued me and thrilled me since I love when books are action-packed. However, things were very confusing too in this case. It took me some time to get used to the world that the author has created, but I enjoyed the world of angels that the author has imagined. It's different from other angel books I've read and it'll appeal to readers looking for originality.

The characters are all quite likable. I enjoyed reading through Addisyn's mind. She was sweet and caring, but she could also be very ignorant, not realizing the dangers she could face. Those imperfections only made her seem more realistic. She was also very brave and stood up for herself. I liked that she didn't let the others guys "over-protect" her. I, especially, liked the relationship she had with the other angels in her Link. I'm not so sure I liked the romance in the book. It simply didn't do it for me, because I, as a reader, didn't get to see why Addisyn liked Greysan so much. Also, they lacked chemistry. I didn't really feel much whenever the two were present in a scene. I hope the author develops it further in the next books.

As I mentioned before, the plot of the book itself is interesting. Initially, I admit, I was a bit perplexed by what was happening, but fortunately, the author does a great job at clearing up my confusions.
 

Overall, I think the book had huge potential and I look forward to reading the next installments of this series.

Rating


Cover : 2/5
Plot : 3/5
Characters : 3/5
Writing : 3/5




INTERVIEW

1. Could you pls let my readers know what your book is a about briefly ?

Neophyte is about Addisyn White and her five angelic dorks. Bossy, Crabby, Hottie, Cocky and Rebel.  Through some unfortunate events, Addi finds out that her Link has been lying and keeping things from her and she takes it upon herself to not let them stop her mission to try and save them. 
2. What inspired you to write it ?
I don’t really know what or who inspired me to start writing, I just need an outlet for my creative energies. I have been writing for fun since about I was 8 or 9, but for serious since I was about 26.
3. Did you have to do any research while writing ? 

I do, i research locations and places for plots to happen.

4. What difficulties did you come across while writing the book? 

I get distracted easily. So I cant just bury myself into writing like I want to.

5. What are you future writing plans?

I am currently working on the sequel to Neophyte and  a secret book.  

6. What are some of your favorite books?  

I am a huge fan of anything that can sweep you away and completely absorb you until the last sentence. 

7. Do you have any messages for people aspiring to being YA authors ? 

Never give up! And, as my editor told me... be friends with your delete key.


I would like to thank the author, Emmalee Aple, for giving me a copy of her book and for participating in this interview!


Comments

  1. This sounds great! I am a sucker for Angel themed stories, I don't know but something about them just intrigues me. Besides Vampire's they are my fav paranormal genre.

    I love that the book directly jumps into action, it's awesome when you don't have to wait and that there is not a slow start to get into the story!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)