Review : Stone Cove Island by Suzanne Meyers

Summary (from Goodreads) 

Title : Stone Cove Island
Author : Suzanne Meyers

Publication Date : November 11th 2014
Publisher : Soho Teen
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble

The Stepford Wives meets Stephen King in this debut mystery: a sleepy New England beach town is wrecked by a hurricane that reveals an unthinkable 30-year-old secret.

When a catastrophic hurricane devastates Stone Cove Island, a serene New England resort community, everyone pulls together to rebuild. Seventeen-year-old Eliza Elliot volunteers to clean out the island’s iconic lighthouse and stumbles upon a secret in the wreckage: a handwritten, anonymous confession to a thirty-year-old crime.

Bess Linsky’s unsolved murder has long haunted the island, and the letter turns the town inside out. Everyone who knew Bess is suddenly a suspect. Soon Eliza finds herself in the throes of an investigation she never wanted or asked for. As Stone Cove Island fights to recover from disaster, Eliza plunges the locals back into a nightmare they believed was long buried.


Personal Thoughts


I was very curious about this title because mystery is a genre that appeals to me very much. I looked forward to reading Stone Cove Island especially because of the island setting and I knew that murder taking place on such an isolated island would undoubtedly make for an edge-of-the-seat kind of read.

Stone Cove Island is not the best mystery book I have read, but it was an enjoyable read. I'll get the things that didn't work out of the way first. I had trouble connecting with our main character Eliza. Now, there was nothing wrong with her as such. She was a brilliant and intelligent main character, but I personally did not think that her character was well-developed enough for me to form an emotional connection with her. In honestly, I felt similarly about all of the characters in this book apart from the parents and Bess, the girl who was murdered years ago. I was sad that I didn't enjoy the romance between Eliza and Charlie either. It happened way too fast and there was very little build up. I did, however, appreciate how they worked together towards solving the mystery and how much they respected each other's abilities.

I was very much into the mystery in the beginning and I was excited to find out about what happened to Bess especially because everyone on the island was so secretive about it. The diary pages from Eliza's mom were an extra touch that added to making the mystery even more excited. I found myself flipping the pages wanting to find out what was going to happen next. Unfortunately, I was a little disappointed by the big reveal at the end. Call me sadistic, but I wanted something a little more darker and gruesome I guess and I wanted to see how that would shake this close-knit community. That's not to say that I didn't enjoy Stone Cove Island. I very much did, but I was expecting something a little more edgier by the end.

While Stone Cove Island wasn't the best book I have ever read, there were moments when I was completely engrossed. If you're looking for a quick mystery to pass some time, I would highly recommend this book.

Rating 

Cover : 4/5
Plot : 3/5
Characters : 3/5
Writing : 3/5

 Thank you to NetGalley and Soho Teen for the e-ARC of Stone Cove Island.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)