Review : Captive by Aimee Carter

Summary (from Goodreads) 

Title : Captive (The Blackcoat Rebellion #2)
Author : Aimee Carter
Publication Date : November 25th 2014

Publisher : Harlequin Teen
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble


For the past two months, Kitty Doe's life has been a lie. Forced to impersonate the Prime Minister's niece, her frustration grows as her trust in her fake fiancé cracks, her real boyfriend is forbidden and the Blackcoats keep her in the dark more than ever.

But in the midst of discovering that her role in the Hart family may not be as coincidental as she thought, she's accused of treason and is forced to face her greatest fear: Elsewhere. A prison where no one can escape.

As one shocking revelation leads to the next, Kitty learns the hard way that she can trust no one, not even the people she thought were on her side. With her back against the wall, Kitty wants to believe she'll do whatever it takes to support the rebellion she believes in—but is she prepared to pay the ultimate price?


Personal Thoughts

And I thought things couldn't get crazier than the first book in the series, Pawn! What an exciting and thrilling second book of the series Captive was. It definitely gave me multiple heart attacks throughout, but that's what I enjoy about this series, its ability to surprise me at every turn.

 Kitty has always been a bit of an impulsive individual. In this book, she was even worse. It was a little infuriating how she constantly put herself in the face of danger or made stupid decisions that wound up hurting a lot of people. But Kitty never did anything selfishly though. She has to be one of the most generous and selfless main characters I have come across who would do anything for her boyfriend, Benjy. I can't say I completely admire her bravery though because of her tendency to sometimes act without really giving a thought. As far as the secondary characters went, we find out about a whole bunch of new characters. If you thought the main villain in the first book was despicable, wait until you meet the one in Captive. Aimee Carter definitely excels at writing villains who make your blood boil in anger and make you want to scream out in frustration because you just want them to be defeated. The beauty of these characters is that you never really know who to trust and who not to. Pretty much everyone has a hidden agenda and because of that, I was constantly on the edge of my seat.

The story line in Captive was action-packed. It did take some time for it to build up to the action stage, but once it did, Aimee Carter was relentless with it. I was completely emotionally invested int the story because of how many twists and turns there were. Additionally, we get to find out more about the Elsewhere, which is prison city of sort. The lifestyle and the world building in general were fascinating. Of course, the body count was also very high and by the end, I was very much emotionally drained. Aimee Carter isn't afraid to figuratively punch the readers in their hearts with some of the shocking revelations. This is one of those series where I feel like I'm always holding my breath because I'm terrified of what is going to happen next. The romance between Benjy and Kitty continued to blossom and while I was glad that the romance never took forefront to the actual plot, I did want to get to know Benjy a little more, but that didn't happen until the end. Regardless, Kitty and Benjy have a truly sweet romance and I love how supportive they are of each other.

Captive was a stunning sequel. It most definitely did not suffer from any kind of second-book syndrome and I'm glad about that because after the first book, my expectations for Captive were high. With the way things wrapped up in this installment, I'm more than ready for the next book.

Rating

Cover : 4/5
Plot : 4/5
Characters : 4/5
Writing : 4/5


Thank you to Harlequin Teen and NetGalley for the e-ARC of Captive.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)