Nick's Random Gibberish (3) : How Blogging Has Changed My Reading Style


Nick's Random Gibberish is a weekly post here at Nick's Book Blog where I, Nick, will talk about random topics from personal posts to discussion posts.


Hi guys!

I'm sorry I didn't do a discussion post last week. I was off celebrating my birthday and it completely slipped off my mind.
Anyways, I'm here today to talk about how blogging has affected my reading. So let's get to it! 

Firstly, nowadays as you can probably tell, I read more young adult and new adult books. When I was younger I used to read middle grade books. In fact, Jacqueline Wilson was one of my favorite authors of all time! Her books were always so cute and had great stories to tell. Then I as I grew older I ONLY read crime fiction and thrillers (Agatha Christie was my fav!) and occasionally a romance book when I entered my teen years and my friend kept forcing me to read Harlequin and Mills and Boons books. It's not that I didn't like YA, but I didn't even know what YA was until Twilight came out. So, I'm entirely grateful to Twilight because without Twilight I would not have discovered the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead and eventually the blogging world. 


As I entered the blogging world, this whole new genre opened to me and I was crazy in love with it. Within the first few months of discovering blogging, I read all kinds of amazing YA books, which ended up in a mild obsession and I never looked back again and I couldn't be happier. 


Of course, I'll occasionally go back to reading crime fiction books because it's still a genre that never fails to entertain me, but I'll admit that it's rare that I'll pick up one to read it. And I mostly never review crime books on my blog because it's more YA centered.

The second way that blogging has changed my reading habits is by actually making me read more. That's interesting because I used to have more free time before, but I would still only read one book a week or so. Now, I attempt to read 3-4 books a week although I'm a lot busier with college and work. I just think blogging has increased my passion for reading. 


Of course, that might also be because of the size of my TBR pile. In the past my TBR pile looked like this :


Now, it pretty much looks like this :


I'm not complaining though because I'm forever grateful to blogging for helping discover all the amazing books out there.

The last way that blogging has changed my reading habits is by making me read more ebooks and less hard copies. I didn't have an ereader until a couple of years ago, but I only used to read paperbacks and hardcovers in the past. Then, I started blogging and discovered the beauty of ebooks which I could access ANYWHERE, so I downloaded the Kindle App on my computer and read there. It wasn't fun for my eyes though, but still it was pretty amazing how access them so easily at a low cost. I bought my first e-reader when I came to the US and it's so awesome because I get to take it anywhere with me, store as many books as possible and actually read faster than I used to.



What about you all? How has blogging or discovering the blogging world changed your reading styles over the years?

Let me know in the comments below!

P.S If you want to suggest potential topics that you would want me to address on Nick's Random Gibberish, please use this Google Form.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)