Review : A Darker Past by Jus Accardo

Summary (from Goodreads) 

Title : A Darker Past (The Darker Agency #2)
Author : Jus Accardo

Publication Date : November 11th 2014
Publisher : Entangled Teen
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble

The past is Darker than they thought...

Between helping her mother with the Darker Agency and laying the smack down on monster baddies, Jessie Darker puts the “normal” in paranormal. But lately, things have gotten a little crazy...even for a smart-assed half-demon teenage girl.

For starters, Jessie’s been contracted into fifty-five years of annoying servitude. To a demon. Then there’s Lukas Scott, her sexy new boyfriend. Once the former incarnation of Wrath, he’s been going through some...uh, changes. Like residual anger. And trading chaste hangouts for lusty make-out sessions.

But it’s when Lukas and Jessie accidentally release a Very Nasty Demon that things get really bad, setting into motion a chain of death and mayhem that threatens both Earth and the Shadow Realm. Jessie has exactly four days to fix it...before all of Hell breaks loose.
  


Personal Thought 

There is absolutely no doubt that Jus Accardo is one of my favorite authors. She continues to entertain me thoroughly with every book that churns out and I could not be happier to have found such a fun author. The first book in this series, Darker Days, was a blast and I was eagerly waiting for news on this second installment. I did not hesitate to click that request button as soon as I saw the book up on NG. There was honestly nothing I hated about this book and I loved how much it made me laugh and swoon.

It was such a thrill being back with this cast of characters. I was especially happy to be reunited with the protagonist, Jessie. She continued to shine as a character with her witty, sassy and snarky self. I loved that this girl could make me laugh out loud multiple times during the book. She wasn't only there to humor the readers though, Jessie was also a very smart main character and I loved that she thought about her decisions and tried to involve everyone around her in them. Lukas, her new boyfriend, also continued to be as amazing as in the first book. He was still the sweetheart that he was in the first book, but he was struggling with his new state as a demon and was battling with some issues. Regardless of that, he remained as swoon-worthy as he was in the first book. A girl could die for one of his kisses! I mentioned in my review for the first book about how much I appreciated the role that Jessie's parents played in her life, especially her mother. With that regards, Jus Accardo did not disappoint one bit. Her parents were still very much essential to the plot line and knew exactly what was going on with her, which is rather refreshing for YA!

The romance in A Darker Past was even better than in the first book. The romance did have tones of developing a bit too fast in the first book, but it never bothered me because I understood the romance and it didn't really feel like insta-love. In A Darker Past, we get to see Jessie and Lukas go through some obstacles in their relationship, but the beauty of it all was how they worked together as a couple to overcome these obstacles. There were many moments when I was rooting for these two and cheering on them for their great decisions. I also often found myself swooning hard at the tender moments between Jessie and Lukas. In addition to a great romance and lovely characters, A Darker Past also had a fun plot which began as a result of a mirror breaking and a crazy homicidal demon being released into the world. It was entertaining watching Jessie, Lukas, her family, her witch best friend and her boss working together as a unit to solve the problem. It was most definitely a thrilling read!

I didn't think my love for Jus Accardo could increase, but I go into crazy fangirl mode whenever I read a new book by her. If you are interested in reading a fun YA paranormal read with a fantastic cast, lots of humor and a lovely romance, be sure to try this series out! I can't wait to see where the story heads to next.

Rating 

Cover : 4/5
Plot : 4/5
Characters : 4/5
Writing : 4/5


Thank you to NetGalley and Entangled Teen for the e-ARC of A Darker Past.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)