Review : Touch Of Power by Maria V Synder

Summary (from Goodreads)

Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan absorbs their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Fifteen Realms, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos.
Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader, an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own, is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince—leader of a campaign against her people. As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for. Because the price of peace may well be her life...

Personal Thoughts

A few months ago I read Maria V Synder's Poison Study Series and fell in love with the world she had created. When I learned that she was releasing a new book, I was super excited and was dying of anticipation to get my hands on it.
Obviously, I had high expectations for this book.
The book was simply WOW !

Avry is the main character and she is a healer. In the world in which Avry resides, healers are considered evil and are accused of having started a plague that has killed a large fraction of the population. So, Avry has no choice but to keep running.
Avry reminded me a lot of Yelena from the Poison Study Series and she was as likable and realistic.
She is stubborn, headstrong, has good intentions and stands up for herself. Brave and independent, she goes through a lot throughout the novel and I felt like she was very easy to relate to. 
I especially liked her interactions with the secondary characters in the book. I truly did enjoy Avry as a protagonist. She was highly enjoyable and definitely kick-ass.

Kerrick is the other main character in the book. I'll admit,at first, I didn't really like him. He was rude and mean to Avry. At one point in the book, he actually hits her. However, he starts to grow a lot towards the end. The ice that had formed around his heart slowly starts to melt because of Avry. It was pretty clear that he and Avry would end up together from the beginning. I liked the fact that Kerrick was someone who had depth. 

I loved all the secondary characters in this book, even the villain. They were all very great and were entertaining. I think the book wouldn't have been the same without the set of secondary characters that Maria V Synder has written.

The romance in Touch Of Power develops slowly and I liked the pace. It was a good thing that the relationship between Avry and Kerrick wasn't too rushed. It seemed more realistic that way. If you're looking for a book with a lot of romance, then this isn't the book for you. What I liked was the fact that the author concentrates more on the plot but she doesn't completely abandon the romance.

The plot was amazing! Maria V Synder has some very original and creative ideas. Her writing is simple but beautiful. She has a way with words that make the world she is writing about seem very much alive. Her descriptions of the world Avery lives in was very easy to picture. The book was full of magic, twists, obstacles and suspense and I loved it!
Maria Synder has created a world that has depth and is absolutely lively. 

Overall, this book was a winner for me. The book doesn't really end with a killer cliff-hanger but Touch of Power sure left me wanting to read more of Avry and her adventures. I can't wait for the next book in this series ! Hopefully, Maria V Synder won't have me waiting too much !


Rating

Cover : 4/5
Plot : 5/5
Characters : 5/5
Writing : 5/5






Comments

  1. I'm dying to get my hands on this book. I have never read anything by this author but I do love the concept of this book and everyone is saying it is amazing.

    Thank you for the great review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)