Review : Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton

Summary (from Goodreads)

First there are nightmares.
Every night Ellie is haunted by terrifying dreams of monstrous creatures that are hunting her, killing her.

Then come the memories.
When Ellie meets Will, she feels on the verge of remembering something just beyond her grasp. His attention is intense and romantic, and Ellie feels like her soul has known him for centuries. On her seventeenth birthday, on a dark street at midnight, Will awakens Ellie's power, and she knows that she can fight the creatures that stalk her in the grim darkness. Only Will holds the key to Ellie's memories, whole lifetimes of them, and when she looks at him, she can no longer pretend anything was just a dream.

Now she must hunt.
Ellie has power that no one can match, and her role is to hunt and kill the reapers that prey on human souls. But in order to survive the dangerous and ancient battle of the angels and the Fallen, she must also hunt for the secrets of her past lives and truths that may be too frightening to remember.


Personal Thoughts

What initially drew me to this book was the cover and the summary at the back. I don't really enjoy reading books about angels after reading Hush Hush, but I still decided to give this one a try.
I'm not disappointed for having picked up this book at all!
The story is about Ellie, a human who turns out to be a re-incarnated angel who has to fight reapers.
Ellie starts out as someone being quite shallow and annoying, but eventually her character grew on me.
I'll admit she was not the kind of protagonist that I really like, but I put up with her anyways.
Towards the middle of the book, when she finally realizes and accepts the fact that she is a Preliator, she begins to grow stronger and becomes a lot braver. She is sarcastic and sassy, but she is epic when she starts fighting with her swords and her powers.
Will is Ellie's guardian and later on her love interest. He's broody , mysterious, gorgeous and immortal. To be honest, I didn't find his character that extraordinary. In fact, I didn't like him as much as I wanted to.

Onto the romance in the book now. The thing is I felt that the relationship between Ellie and Will was not exactly romantic. It seemed a little bit like a relationship between a brother and a sister. I found it a bit weird.
The problem was that I didn't feel the chemistry between the two of them. I think the author could do something about the romance in the next book. She should definitely develop it a little more and add some chemistry. 

One thing that I definitely liked in this book was the response that Ellie had to Landon's date proposal. Landon is her human friend and he likes her. I thought for sure that the author would add some kind of love triangle where the protagonist cannot decide what she wants, but Ellie was a smart girl who knew exactly how to respond to that.

The plot of the book is not something new, but the way the author handled it is not so bad. I loved the action scenes(and there were plenty of them).
The premise of the book was intriguing and quite exciting and I believe the author has a lot of potential.

The writing was also wonderful and it's quite smooth and easy to follow. In fact, it was simple and easy to read.
Overall, I applaud Courtney Allison Moulton for writing a wonderful debut novel which was thrilling and fast-paced. I look forward to reading the other books of the series when they come out.


Rating

Cover : 5/5
Plot : 4/5
Characters : 3/5
Writing : 4/5











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)