Review : Awkward by Marni Bates

Summary (from Goodreads)

Mackenzie Wellesley has spent her life avoiding the spotlight. At Smith High, she's the awkward junior people only notice when they need help with homework. Until she sends a burly football player flying with her massive backpack and makes a disastrous - not to mention unwelcome - attempt at CPR. Before the day is out, the whole fiasco explodes on YouTube. And then the strangest thing happens. Suddenly, Mackenzie is an Internet sensation, with four million hits and counting. Sucked into a whirlwind of rock stars, paparazzi, and free designer clothes, she even catches the eye of the most popular guy at school. And that's when life gets really interesting...

Personal Thoughts

After having read the summary for Awkward, I didn't really have huge expectations. I'll admit that the cover is what drew me to read this book. Doesn't it look totally cool ?
You know what ? This book was so perfect, I wanted to give it a big hug ! I loved it.
It wasn't deep or highly philosophical or anything. Instead, it was a cute book with a few themes that are common in YA.

Awkward follows the story of Mackenzie. She is what you can call the invisible girl in her high school. On top of that, she's awkward. After her failed attempt at CPR on a guy at school is filmed and posted on Youtube , Mackenzie becomes an internet sensation and rockets to popularity. That girl is so likable and adorable. She was relate-able. I think Mackenzie is the kind of character that most people can connect with. I know I did. She is funny, caring and tries to stand up for herself even though she is awkward. Moreover, she doesn't let the popularity get to her too much and it's very interesting to see her wade through her moment of fame. At the end of the book, you realize how much Mackenzie has grown. I especially loved her interactions with her friends. Overall, Mackenzie was a great protagonist.

Logan is the guy Mackenzie tutors. He is also the most popular guy at school. He was down to earth, caring and sweet. Plus, he had issues that made him not so perfect as you would have thought. I think that Logan pretty much proves that not all popular guys are how they are usually depicted in teen movies.

Awkward has a solid set of secondary characters. They are all equally likable. I especially liked the interaction between Mackenzie and the band. I also like the fact that her brother and mother play an important part in this book.

The romance in this book progresses slightly. Although it was quite predictable, I found it cute. The relationship between Mackenzie and Logan starts from tutors then goes to friendship and then into dating.
Also, the book doesn't focus a too much on the romance. Logan and Mackenzie are like a different version of Etienne and Anna ! If you like romances where the characters fall in love really fast, then you probably won't like it.

Marni Bates is a great YA contemporary writer. Her writing style is smooth and fluid. It makes you want to read more and more. Also, she has a very funny voice. I think her writing style is really amazing since this is her first book and all. Plus, she's really young.
I know I'll be picking up her other books when they come out.

Overall, Awkward is a delightful and funny read. If you're looking for a book that is light, fluffy and quick read, then I recommend this book to you. 
I haven't enjoyed a YA contemporary book this much ever since Lola and the Boy Next Door.
In fact, all YA book lovers SHOULD read this wonderful piece of work !

Rating

Cover : 5/5
Plot : 4/5
Characters : 5/5
Writing : 5/5





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)