Review : Fated by Sarah Alderson

Summary (from Goodreads)

What happens when you discover you aren't who you thought you were? And that the person you love is the person who will betray you? If your fate is already determined, can you fight it?

When Evie Tremain discovers that she’s the last in a long line of Demon slayers and that she’s being hunted by an elite band of assassins –Shapeshifters, Vampires and Mixen demons amongst them – she knows she can’t run. They’ll find her wherever she goes. Instead she must learn to stand and fight.

But when the half-human, half-Shadow Warrior Lucas Gray - is sent to spy on Evie and then ordered to kill her before she can fulfil a dangerous prophecy, their fates become inextricably linked. The war that has raged for one thousand years between humans and demons is about to reach a devastating and inevitable conclusion. Either one or both of them will die before this war ends.

If your life becomes bound to another’s, what will it take to sever it?


Personal Thoughts 

Going into this book, I had very high expectations. Although, I wasn't a big fan of Sarah Alderson's Hunting Lila, I decided to give Fated a try because the summary and cover drew me in.

I'm not too sure about how I feel when it comes to this book. At times I enjoyed it and other times I got bored.

We are introduced to Evie, a human demon hunter. She has no idea that she is in fact a Hunter. She only realizes it when a group of Unhuman from the Brotherhood attack her with the aim of killing her.
Evie was a likable character most of the time. She's stubborn, sarcastic and kick-ass. However, at times I found her a bit over the top. Her attempt to appear all tough and strong were exaggerated. However, my liking for her grew as the story developed. 
At the end, she shows her true strength and courage.

Lucas is a half-human Shadow Warrior. He belongs to the Brotherhood and the role of the Brotherhood is to eradicate all Hunters. Lucas goes undercover in order to get close to Evie and to eventually kill her. However, due to circumstances, he finds himself protecting her instead of killing her.
At this point, he realizes that he actually likes her.
Lucas was a great character. He was the mysterious, quiet and good looking guy. There was something about him that I can't describe that I found very enjoyable and attractive. His fierce protective nature over Evie was quite realistic.
  
The romance between the two wasn't that developed, according to me. What I'm trying to say here is that they fall in love to quickly. I would have preferred if they got to know each other first and then fall in love. 
 Fated had a good set of secondary characters. They were varied from humans to different mythical creatures and they were enjoyable to read about. However, I found that Evie's adoptive mother was not really present throughout the book. She was barely involved with her daughter and that bothers me a lot in YA books because I believe parents are vital.

What I definitely loved about this book was the action and the mythology. Sarah Alderson is pretty creative and imaginative when it comes to creating stories. The plot is fast-paced and very entertaining. 
  
The book is written in the 3rd person. Although, I hate reading books that are written in the 3rd person because for some reason I can't connect with the characters, I didn't have a huge problem with this one. In fact, I did enjoy Sarah Alderson's smooth writing.

Overall, I had some good and some bad moments with this book. It was an okay read for me, nothing extraordinary. I will surely pick up the next book in this series and I look forward to reading it.


Rating

Cover : 3/5
Plot : 4/5
Characters : 3/5
Writing : 3/5




 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)