Review : The Unbecoming Of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Summary (from Goodreads)

Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.

She's wrong.

Personal Thoughts

When it came to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, there were people who loved it and there were those who didn't like it at all.
Unfortunately, I figured in the latter.

The story is about Mara Dyer, who wakes up in hospital with no memory of the accident that killed her 3 friends and left her in a coma for 2-3 days.
After that, weird things start to happen to Mara. Her parents decide to move to Florida and there, Mara meets Noah Shaw, her love interest. This is where the whole story ends up being ruined.

Mara is the kind of character I found difficult to take a liking to for some reason. I get that she was going through a lot, but there was something with her voice that frustrated me.
To be honest, she starts out as being an okay character, but when she meets Noah, she becomes another version of "Bella Swan" ; pathetic and love-sick.

Noah was hard to like too. He seemed too perfect and I hate perfect characters.
He's the bad-boy who's a huge player, but when Mara comes, he's infatuated with her. Definitely no the kind of male character I like.

The story starts out as being really interesting, but the romance ruins everything. I personally think that this book would have been better off without the romance.
I didn't feel anything between the two main characters and so I felt that their relationship was pretty lame.

To be honest, I didn't have the courage to finish the book. It was getting so boring since the plot stayed in place and didn't move forward.
It bothered me that too much attention was given to the romance instead of the actual story line.

Overall, I didn't like this book at all. I found it disappointing and a complete waste of time. All I can say is, don't judge the book by its cover! 

Rating 

Cover : 4/5
Plot : 1/5
Characters : 1/5
Writing : 2/5





Comments

  1. I am really your first follower?!

    I love the books you're writing on! You have really interesting taste. This is a review I really appreciated, because I have heard such GREAT things about it. I really value objective reviews. There's nothing worse than hearing nothing but fab things about a book, and then you pick it up and really don't love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw I'm sorry you didn't like this one, it was my favorite book of 2011. I guess we all have different tastes though and I agree with you that I didn't like Mara at first, she grew on me. I did really love Jamie though and I did like Noah.

    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)