Review : The Storyspinner by Becky Wallace

Summary (from Goodreads)

Title : The Storyspinner
Author : Becky Wallace

Publication Date : March 3rd 2015
Publisher : Simon Teen

Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble

Drama and danger abound in this fantasy realm where dukes play a game for the throne, magical warriors race to find the missing heir, and romance blossoms where it is least expected.

In a world where dukes plot their way to the throne, a Performer’s life can get tricky. And in Johanna Von Arlo’s case, it can be fatal. Expelled from her troupe after her father’s death, Johanna is forced to work for the handsome Lord Rafael DeSilva. Too bad they don’t get along. But while Johanna’s father’s death was deemed an accident, the Keepers aren’t so sure.

The Keepers, a race of people with magical abilities, are on a quest to find the princess—the same princess who is supposed to be dead and whose throne the dukes are fighting over. But they aren’t the only ones looking for her. And in the wake of their search, murdered girls keep turning up—girls who look exactly like the princess, and exactly like Johanna.

With dukes, Keepers, and a killer all after the princess, Johanna finds herself caught up in political machinations for the throne, threats on her life, and an unexpected romance that could change everything.


Personal Thoughts


Becky Wallace's debut novel, The Storyspinner, was an enchanting story full of life. It was such a delightful read and I honestly could not stop turning the pages because of how charming this story was. I, for one, can't wait to read more in this series.

I was worried when I started The Storyspinner and realized that there were going to be multiple POVs. I don't have a very good track record with them. However, Becky Wallace worked some kind of magic, because the multiple POVs in this book worked so well together. I almost think it added an extra something special to the story. Additionally, it helped that almost all of the characters were so endearing. I have to say though, I did have a soft spot for Johanna and Rafi. As much as I loved all of the characters, these two really struck a cord with me. Thankfully, they were the main characters of the book because the story revolved around them. Johanna, especially, was a gorgeously developed character. She was fiery, bold and I couldn't help but love her character. I loved just how loyal and devoted she was to her brothers. She was also the kind of character who didn't mince her words and fought for what she thought was right, qualities that I very much appreciate in my heroines. Rafi, the other character that I grew to really love, was also pretty great. He and I did not get off to a great start, but as the story progressed, I was intrigued by the intricacies to his character. I was surprised and utterly delighted at how complex he was. Becky Wallace also did a fantastic job with the secondary characters. I loved how she gave them equal importance as the main characters and how she took her to flesh them out. Needless to say, I loved each and everyone of them!

The world building in The Storyspinner was initially disorienting, but once I got into the groove of the story, every element fell into place. One reason why I love fantasy books so much is because the world building can be so lush and elaborate. With The Storyspinner, I got exactly that. Rich and captivating, the world building in The Storyspinner was very strong. I loved how the author weaved together magic and storytelling into the book. The Keepers were especially interesting to me because they were almost mythical in Johanna's human world. The Storyspinner also had two story lines going through, one involving a lost princess and another murder investigation in the Keepers' POVs. I thought they both worked very well and when they finally came together coherently, it was even better for me. Oh and bonus? You get two swoony romance that build up over the course of the story! Both of them also started off antagonistically, which was s so well-done with the chemistry and the banter between the couples.  The first half of the book had a playful tone to it, but man, Becky Wallace slayed my feelings during the last few chapters. She basically jabbed a knife into my heart! This is definitely one book that made me feel all kinds of emotions!

The Storyspinner is already a favorite book of 2015 for me. Becky Wallace is one talented author and I can't wait to see what she has up her sleeve. YA Fantasy fans, trust me when I say you WANT this book.

Rating

Cover : 4/5
Plot : 4/5
Characters : 4/5
Writing : 5/5

**Overall Rating : 4.5/5**


Thank you to Simon Teen and Edelweiss for the e-ARC of The Storyspinner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)