Review : Rebellion by Stephanie Diaz

Summary (from Goodreads) 

Title : Rebellion (Extraction #2)
Author : Stephanie Diaz

Publication Date : February 10th 2015
Publisher : St Martin's Griffin
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble

The uprising has begun.

It's been seven days since Clementine and Logan, along with their allies, retreated into hiding on the Surface. The rebels may have won one battle against Commander Charlie, but the fight is far from finished. He has vowed to find a way to win—no matter the cost. Do the rebels have what it takes to defeat him...and put an end to this war?

As Clementine and Logan enter a desperate race against time to defeat Commander Charlie—and attempt to weaken his power within his own ranks—they find themselves in a terrifying endgame that pits them against a brutal enemy, and each other. With every step, Clementine draws closer to losing Logan...and losing control of herself.

Continuing with the mesmerizing saga that started with Extraction, Stephanie Diaz blends science fiction, epic romance, and heart-stopping adventure to create a world that no reader will soon forget.


Personal Thoughts

I read Extraction last year and while I wasn't completely in love with the book because it had a plot line that is so redundant in YA, I was impressed by Stephanie Diaz' writing and I knew that she was one of those authors who would undoubtedly improve with time. So, I picked up Rebellion with a lot of excitement, and dang, was this book great!

From the moment I opened my copy of Rebellion, I was hooked. This is a book that does not suffer from any kind of second book syndrome. It was intense, action-packed and had twists that had my eyes widening. It was impossible for me to stop flipping the pages because of how addicting this book was. With Rebellion, Stephanie Diaz has moved away from the Divergent similarities and has gone more into the sci-fi teritory and it was absolutely brilliant. I loved how the world building expanded in this book. Stephanie Diaz had some great ideas involving the moon, a poison and  new alien race, that will form a big part of the next book. Also, we learn more about the twisted and truly psychotic leader, Charlie, who basically twisted my guts multiple times throughout the book. It actually pained me that I was unable to jump into the story and push this crazy guy off of a cliff. The death toll in Rebellion was high and it had me so nervous for these characters who I grew to love in this book.

I mentioned in my review of the first book that I was unimpressed by Clementine's character, but all that changed here. I actually grew to really love her and connecting with her emotionally was much easier this time around. The author puts Clem through some seriously high obstacles and it pained me to see her suffer so much, especially with her PTSD, but these obstacles were also important to help her grow as an individual and to find her strengths. By the end of the book, Clem was a completely different character than we met in Extraction and I couldn't be prouder of her. We also get to see more of Logan in Rebellion and I'm really growing to like him as well. He is a complete sweetheart and I love how devoted he is to Clem. I'm not going to lie though I do wish there was more romance in this series because if you all know me, you know how much of a sucker I am when it comes to romance. Even if the romances is mostly in the background, I loved the relationship that Logan and Clem had. It was one based on respect. As for the secondary characters, I trust absolutely NO ONE! I don't know what to think of them because Stephanie Diaz makes it so hard to trust them with her twists and turns. Also, it should be illegal to end the book with such a killer ending! Nevertheless, it's definitely gotten me excited for the final book in the trilogy! (Please don't let anything happen to these babies!)

Rebellion was an astounding second book in a series. If you're into high-intensity, action-packed YA science fiction books with characters that grow throughout, definitely check out the Extraction series.

Rating

Cover : 5/5
Plot : 4/5
Characters : 4/5
Writing : 4/5



Thank you to St Martin's Press for the ARC of Rebellion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)