Review : Hero by Samantha Young

Summary (from Goodreads)
 

Title : Hero
Author : Samantha Young
Publication Date : February 3rd 2015
Publisher : NAL
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble

Alexa Holland’s father was her hero—until her shocking discovery that she and her mother weren't his only family. Ever since, Alexa has worked to turn her life in a different direction and forge her own identity outside of his terrible secrets. But when she meets a man who’s as damaged by her father’s mistakes as she is, Alexa must help him.

Caine Carraway wants nothing to do with Alexa’s efforts at redemption, but it’s not so easy to push her away. Determined to make her hate him, he brings her to the edge of her patience and waits for her to walk away. But his actions only draw them together and, despite the odds, they begin an intense and explosive affair.

Only Caine knows he can never be the white knight that Alexa has always longed for. And when they're on the precipice of danger, he finds he’ll do anything to protect either one of them from being hurt again…


Personal Thoughts

While I devoured Samantha Young's On Dublin Street series, I wasn't too keen on Hero. For some reason, I got it into my head that this was going to be an angsty book that would most likely frustrate me. HUGE MISTAKE! I can't believe I nearly missed on this sexy and addicting book that was Hero. Samantha Young is seriously talented and I've vowed everything she writes in the adult contemporary genre.

Alexa, the main character in Hero, was so damn funny! I love that she was feisty and did not let Caine trample all over her. She was outspoken and did not mince her words. Alexa was also nearly destroyed by her father's actions, but she didn't let that get to her and she worked really hard to get to success. I love how driven she was and I love she freely admitted how wrong her father was. I also really felt for her because despite having grandparents, she was forced to keep her sweet relationship with her grandpa a secret because of his high position in society. And she did not say one word against towards him! I would have been so frustrated had I been in her place. Caine, Alexa's love interest and grouchy boss, was who I couldn't get a real handle on initially. He was such a douche-nozzle and there were multiple times I wanted smack him for his stupid actions and to remove that giant stick up his ass. Slowly though, he managed to sway me towards him and by the end of the book, I was heavily in lust love with him. I had so much respect for him because after what the tragic event that ripped his parents from him, he was able to pick up the pieces and rebuild his life. Still though, there were some moments when I didn't know if I wanted to hug him or hit him! He could be so frustrating (in a good way!). Despite everything, I really enjoyed Caine's character.

The romance in Hero was the highlight of the book for me. It's the kind that had me squealing and fanning myself and just wanting the two characters to get it on already. The swoon factor was seriously high. Hero was smoldering in the chemistry department. Caine and Alexa had some intense palpable chemistry that had me racing through the pages. They had an antagonistic relationship (my fave!). Even when they were annoying each other, you could tell that they simultaneously wanted to rip each other's clothes off. Samantha Young is really good at writing couples that have a lot of chemistry between them and Hero is no different in that regards. They have some obstacles to overcome, mostly because of Caine and his douchiness (seriously, I can't figure out if I loved him or hated him), but Alexa was a strong girl who really pushed through to him and showed him the right way. I loved that it was mostly angst-free!

If you're a Samantha Young fan, you don't want to miss out on Hero! It was a fun and steamy read that had me reading non-stop!

Rating

Cover : 5/5
Plot : 4/5
Characters : 4/5
Writing : 4/5



Thank you to NetGalley and NAL for the e-ARC of Hero.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)