Review : The Conspiracy of Us by Maggie Hall

Summary (from Goodreads)
 

Title : The Conspiracy of Us
Author : Maggie Hall
Publication Date : January 13th 2015
Publisher : Putnam Juvenile
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble


A fast-paced international escapade, laced with adrenaline, glamour, and romance--perfect for fans of Ally Carter

Avery West's newfound family can shut down Prada when they want to shop in peace, and can just as easily order a bombing when they want to start a war. Part of a powerful and dangerous secret society called the Circle, they believe Avery is the key to an ancient prophecy. Some want to use her as a pawn. Some want her dead.

To unravel the mystery putting her life in danger, Avery must follow a trail of clues from the monuments of Paris to the back alleys of Istanbul with two boys who work for the Circle—beautiful, volatile Stellan and mysterious, magnetic Jack. But as the clues expose a stunning conspiracy that might plunge the world into World War 3, she discovers that both boys are hiding secrets of their own. Now she will have to choose not only between freedom and family--but between the boy who might help her save the world, and the one she's falling in love with.


Personal Thoughts


I was actually very hesitant about reading The Conspiracy of Us because there were signs of a love triangle, but when Nereyda raved about it, I knew that I wanted to read it. And then she went ahead and offered me an audiobook of it and I started listening to it immediately and I was hooked! The description of a YA Da Vinci Code is very much pertinent to this book.

The main character, Avery, wasn't always my favorite character. She had the tendency to be impulsive and she made some very questionable decisions, but I forgave her on the basis that this is fiction. For instance, very early in the book, she hopped on a plane with them to France without informing her mother, in hopes of finding her extended family. That was hard for me to comprehend at first because it seemed so risky. Eventually, I forgot about it and forgave her, but I know not everyone will enjoy her character. She did get better throughout the book although, she did have her moments. My favorite character in The Conspiracy of Us was Jack! SWOON ALERT! This boy was so mysterious and I just wanted to unravel him and figure out all his secrets. He was also a gentleman through and through and I just LOVED him! Plus, he had this insane ability to make me melt into a puddle of goo whenever he opened his mouth! He was definitely one sexy guy (and now I feel like a perv because he's so young!). I wasn't too keen on most of the secondary characters in The Conspiracy of Us, mostly because they weren't too well-developed, but I was very curious about The Dauphins and I hope we get to know them better in the next book.

The plot in The Conspiracy of Us was fast-paced and action-packed. It's what really hooked me into the book. I was very much engaged in the story line, especially with all the conspiracy theories and the connections to Alexander the Great. Plus, all the fancy and exotic locations definitely helped me enjoy the book. I also really liked the romance in The Conspiracy of Us. Avery and Jack had some great chemistry together and Maggie Hall sure does know how to write swoony kisses. I know some of you are worried about the prospect of a love triangle, and I was too, but so far, there's nothing. I wouldn't call what Stellan and Avery had as a love triangle. He's just very flirty with her and she never reciprocated in this book. Now, I can't promise that it won't turn into a triangle, but I'm hoping Maggie Hall doesn't ruin a perfectly decent series into a silly angsty romance drama. If she does, I'm out of here.

Overall, The Conspiracy of Us was a thrilling ride that had me on the edge of my seat. Despite the characterizations not being the best, this is still a fun book that I wouldn't mind recommending for readers looking for something more unique in YA!

Audiobook comments :
This is only my second audiobook and I absolutely loved listening to it. To be honest, I'm unsure if I would have loved this book as much had I not listened to it and had read it instead. Julia Whelan is an AMAZING narrator. She brings life to the characters' voices. She even did accents and did different voices for the characters so I was never confused as to who was speaking. I'm definitely going to be listening to more audiobooks by her because her voice is so gorgeous and very easy to listen to.

Rating 

Cover : 4/5
Plot : 4/5
Characters : 3/5
Writing : 4/5

**Overall Rating : 3.5/5**

Thank you to Nereyda for gifting me an audiobook copy of The Conspiracy of Us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)