Review : Being Sloane Jacobs by Lauren Morrill

Summary (from Goodreads)

Title : Being Sloane Jacobs
Author : Lauren Morril
Publication Date : January 7th 2013

Publisher : Delacorte Books
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble


Meet Sloane Emily Jacobs: a seriously stressed-out figure-skater from Washington, D.C., who choked during junior nationals and isn’t sure she’s ready for a comeback. What she does know is that she’d give anything to escape the mass of misery that is her life.

Now meet Sloane Devon Jacobs, a spunky ice hockey player from Philly who’s been suspended from her team for too many aggressive hip checks. Her punishment? Hockey camp, now, when she’s playing the worst she’s ever played. If she messes up? Her life will be over.

When the two Sloanes meet by chance in Montreal and decide to trade places for the summer, each girl thinks she’s the lucky one: no strangers to judge or laugh at Sloane Emily, no scouts expecting Sloane Devon to be a hero. But it didn’t occur to Sloane E. that while avoiding sequins and axels she might meet a hockey hottie—and Sloane D. never expected to run into a familiar (and very good-looking) face from home. It’s not long before the Sloanes discover that convincing people you’re someone else might be more difficult than being yourself.


Personal Thoughts

Being Sloane Jacobs is the perfect book for readers wanting to have happy feels by the end. I've read and loved Lauren Morrill's debut novel, Meant To Be, so I was beyond excited for the chance to be able to read Being Sloane Jacobs early. I know a lot of people didn't enjoy it as much, but I ended up loving it because I got out of it what I expected, a book that left me with a smile etched on my face and a sense of satisfaction.

Being Sloane Jacobs tells the story of two teenagers who share the same name. One of the Sloane Jacobs is a hockey player (Sloane Devon) while the other is a figure skater (Sloane Emily). A chance meeting leads to them taking each others places for a couple of weeks which results in a logically flawed, but highly entertaining read. While I enjoyed the POV of both Sloanes, I have to say that I was slightly more invested in Sloane Emily's story. I felt connected to her a bit more easier than I did with Sloane Devon. Sloane Emily was going through a rough phase in her life. She learns something terrible about her senator father which left her feeling rather frustrated and alienated from her family. Plus, she also had the expectations of her mother pretty much stifling her and all she wanted to do was get away from it all. Sloane Devon also has her fair share of her issues stemming from her lack of anger management which led to her being uncomfortable on the ice. Both Sloanes grew throughout the book, learning more about themselves and learning to become better people and I adored watching that happen. In addition, Being Sloane Jacobs had a great set of secondary characters. I especially loved Andy, a male figure skater Sloane Devon befriends. He was such a fun character and I loved every scene he was in. I also really appreciated how much he pushed Sloane Devon and prevented her from drowning in self-pity. To me, he was the star of the book!

The main theme of the story was undoubtedly the growth as individuals separate from their lives of these two girls. However, they also each had their romances which never overshadowed the real plot. While both guys were genuinely sweet, I fell harder for Sloane Emily's love interest, Matt. That was probably because he was a much more prominent character than Sloane Devon's love interest, Nando. Also, you got to watch Sloane Emily and Matt become emotionally attached to each other from a rather antagonistic relationship to friendship, which eventually led to something more. There were plenty of swoons from these two for sure. On the other hand, the romance between Sloane Devon and Nando lacked chemistry together and their romance felt underdeveloped. But the great friendship between Sloane Devon and Andy made up for the lack of development in the romance. Lauren Morrill's writing was as lovely as ever. She has this slow and easy writing style that's so easy to get immersed into. I did think that Sloane Devon and Sloane Emily had rather similar voices, but because they were most of the time surrounded by different groups of people, it wasn't much of a bother to me.

In the end, I thought Being Sloane Jacobs was a delightful read and Lauren Morrill is definitely one author who will shine in the YA contemporary romance genre. I can't wait for more from her!

Rating

Cover : 4/5
Plot : 4/5
Characters : 4/5
Writing : 4/5


Thank you to Random House and NetGalley for the e-ARC of Being Sloane Jacobs.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)