Review : Another Little Piece of My Heart by Tracey Martin

Summary (from Goodreads)

Title : Another Little Piece of My Heart

Author : Tracey Martin 
Publication Date : December 1st 2013
Publisher : Harlequin Teen
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble


What if your devastating break-up became this summer’s hit single? In this rock-and-roll retelling of Jane Austen’s Persuasion, music can either bring you together or tear you apart.

At her dying mother’s request, Claire dumps Jared, the only boy she’s ever loved. Left with a broken family and a broken heart, Claire is furious when she discovers that her biggest regret became Jared’s big break. While Jared is catapulted into rock-star status, another piece of Claire’s heart crumbles every time his song plays on the radio.

The summer after her senior year, it’s been months since the big break-up, and Claire is just trying to keep her head down and make it through a tense trip to the beach with her family. But when Jared shows up, and old feelings reignite, can Claire and Jared let go of the past? Or will they be stuck singing the same old refrain?


Personal Thoughts

I was initially tempted to try Another Little Piece of My Heart first and foremost because of that adorable cover and then because I'm a huge fan of YA contemporary romances, especially those that involve a couple that reconnect. I got out of Another Little Piece of My Heart exactly what I expected ; a cute book that gave me happy feels by the end.

Claire was a main character I instantly adored. She was sweet, down-to-earth and so realistic. It's hard to portray teenagers in an authentic way and I think a lot of authors over do it with the amount of drama, but Tracey Martin fleshed out Claire perfectly. Claire wasn't a flawless, kick-butt heroine that you come across many times in YA, but she had her blemishes. The best word to probably describe Claire would be normal. I found so much of myself in her and I think a lot of readers will relate to her. I loved that she was the sort of girl who learned from her mistakes and her growth throughout the book from her somewhat naive teenager to a smart and responsible young woman was a thrill for me. Alongside Claire was Jared. Jared had turned into a superstar overnight and I will admit that I judged him before I got to know him better. See, I expected him to be represented as a bad boy man-whore rockstar, but Tracey Martin proved me wrong. Jared was a sweet-heart. The reader got to know him on a deep level before he rose to fame and after he rose to fame. I loved that he didn't change and remained the kind-hearted, adorable guy that he was. He wasn't the sort of guy to let fame get into his head. While Claire and Jared might have been the stars of Another Little Piece of My Heart, the book also had an absolutely wonderful secondary cast. Claire's extended family play a big role in the book and I loved their family dynamics even though they weren't perfect and made mistakes like many families normally do.

The start of Claire's and Jared's relationship was really cute. The two of them connected because of their shared passion for music and I loved watching their budding romance in the beginning. But something happens that leads to the two of them breaking up. So when Claire and Jared met each other again, their relationship was entirely antagonistic. Things were difficult because Jared's most popular song is about their break-up. It was frustrating that Claire and Jared didn't take through their issues like mature adults, but they were teenagers and that was entirely realistic. They said some pretty hurtful things to each other, but it was clear that they still had strong feelings towards each other. The romance was handled very nicely according to me and while it might have been slightly upsetting that Claire and Jared spent most of their time arguing than doing couple things throughout the book, I did really enjoy it. You watch them slowly overcome their issues throughout the book and the end was obviously satisfying.While the romance might have been the focal point of Another Little Piece of My Heart, family and friendship are also major points in the book. The author explored family expectations and financial duress that families go through in a realistic way. I also loved how music was such a big part of the book. Tracey Martin is a fantastic author and I can't wait to see what she comes up with next. She definitely has a fan in me.

Another Little Piece of My Heart was heavy on the music, romance and emotions. It's a YA contemporary novel that I wholeheartedly recommend, especially if you're looking to put a smile on your face at the end.

Rating

Cover : 4/5
Plot : 4/5
Characters : 4/5
Writing : 4/5


Thank you to NetGalley and Harlequin Teen for the e-ARC of Another Little Piece of My Heart.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)