Review : Three by Kristen Simmons

Summary (from Goodreads)

Title : Three (Article 5 #3)
Author : Kristen Simmons
Publication Date : February 11th 2014

Publisher : Tor Teen
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble


Kristen Simmons' fast-paced, gripping YA dystopian series continues in Three.

Ember Miller and Chase Jennings are ready to stop running. After weeks spent in hiding as two of the Bureau of Reformation’s most wanted criminals, they have finally arrived at the safe house, where they hope to live a safe and quiet existence.

And all that’s left is smoking ruins.

Devastated by the demolition of their last hope, Ember and Chase follow the only thing left to them—tracks leading away from the wreckage. The only sign that there may have been survivors.

With their high profile, they know they can’t stay out in the open for long. They take shelter in the wilderness and amidst the ruins of abandoned cities as they follow the tracks down the coast, eventually finding refugees from the destroyed safe house. Among them is someone from Chase’s past—someone he never thought he’d see again.

Banding together, they search for a place to hide, aiming for a settlement a few of them have heard about…a settlement that is rumored to house the nebulous organization known as Three. The very group that has provided Ember with a tiny ray of hope ever since she was first forced on the run.

Three is responsible for the huge network of underground safe houses and resistance groups across the country. And they may offer Ember her only chance at telling the world her story.

At fighting back.


Personal Thoughts

This year seems to be the year all of my favorite YA series are ending. There's always that feeling of sadness that overcomes me when I have to say goodbye to characters that I've grown attached to over the years. Ah the problems that we book nerds face! While I was full of grief while finishing Three, I was also completely satisfied because Kristen Simmons gave me a series that will remain engraved in my mind probably for the rest of my life.

I'm never really sure what to write in my reviews for series finales, because I'm worried that I'm going to spoil other readers, but I'm going to try here. Three begins where Breaking Point left off. The ending of Breaking Point emotionally broke me, not because it ended in a cliffhanger, but it felt like there was absolutely no hope for the characters in this book to come out safely. Ember and Chase. *sighs* These two characters were just so brave. They had gone through so much grief and pain throughout their short life and I wanted nothing more than for them to have that HEA that they entirely deserved. While Kristen Simmons did end the book on a relatively positive note, she did manage to stab me in the heart over and over again. Ember and Chase proved continuously that they were perfect for each other. Their romance has always been a favorite aspect of this series for me and in Three, it was even more perfect. Their relationship grew even further and I loved loved loved the fact that there was never any kind of unnecessary drama-for-entertainment-purposes in their relationship. Ember and Chase were such a great couple. The kissing scenes and the romantic things they said to each other gave me butterflies. Several times throughout the book, I found myself swooning over them because their romance had this tenderness and passion to it. I pretty much fainted by the barn scene. They do go through multiple obstacles throughout the series, but which couple doesn't? Besides the truly wonderful characters, the Article 5 series also graces us a great secondary cast. Sean and Rebecca, especially, and maybe even Trevor, were some of my favorites. I loved that Kristen Simmons bothered to develop each and everyone of them.

The plot did slow down, especially towards the middle, but I never felt like it dragged or that it bored me. In fact, I was thoroughly entertained throughout the entirety of this novel. I went through a roller-coaster of emotions while reading and I was left pretty much exhausted. In the end, it was all worth it. The last few chapters were brilliantly executed and I don't think this series could have ended in a better way. The world-building was as always strong and despite this being the last book, I learned even more about the brutality and the harshness that Ember and Chase lived through. I don't think I need to mention this, but I will anyways ; Kristen Simmons is one talented author and if you haven't read this series yet, do read it so that you can discover the beauty of her writing style. I personally can't wait to read her future projects because I'm sure they will be as fantastic as The Article 5 series.

Three was a brilliant conclusion to one of  my favorite YA dystopian series. Kristen Simmons could not have ended it in a better way. Thank you Kristen Simmons, for giving me a series that I will undoubtedly be re-reading multiple times again.

Rating

Cover : 4/5
Plot : 4/5
Characters : 5/5
Writing : 5/5


Thank you to NetGalley and Tor Teen for the e-ARC of Three.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)