Review : Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Summary (from Goodreads)

Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days. 

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color. 

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now. 

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.


Personal Thoughts

Shatter me was a great book to read. This is the first dystopian novel I've read and I truly like the whole idea.

The cover of the book is beautiful I think. It sort of shows that Juliette is totally kick-ass.

Juliette starts out as being weak and depressed about her abilities. Over the book, we see her grow and become more mature. I have to admit I was a bit hesitant about how I felt about Juliette in the beginning, but eventually she grew on me.
She becomes a free-thinking individual and you get to see how independent and strong she is especially when she's with the villain of the book.
Overall, I think I did really like Juliette as a main character.

Adam plays the love interest of Juliette. He is sweet and really caring. He practically risks his life for Juliette.

Juliette's and Adam's romance was a bit too lovey-dovey for my tastes. It was a bit annoying, but I tried to ignore the feeling because I really liked the plot of the book.

The secondary characters are also very interesting. I especially liked Warner and I hope Tahereh Mafi explores his character a bit more in the next book.

Onto the plot. The story line is captivating, fast-paced and engaging. Although the beginning was a  teensy bit boring, the book got better. In fact, it was pretty awesome.

The author writes beautifully - a bit too beautifully I guess. There were some descriptions and imagery that bothered. It's really really good to use imagery but this book had overdone it. 
However, I admit that Tahereh Mafi does know how to write well.

Overall, Shatter Me was a really good book. I look forward to reading the rest of the series.
Tahereh Mafi has written a wonderful debut book.


Rating

Cover : 5/5
Plot : 5/5
Characters : 4/5
Writing : 3/5




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)