Review : Divergent by Veronica Roth

Summary (from Goodreads)
  
In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself. 
During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves… or it might destroy her.

Personal Thoughts

Divergent by Veronica Roth was one of the most exciting reads of 2011 for me.
It was an action-packed and fast-paced novel.

The book is about Tris, who has to choose into which faction she goes into. Tris starts out as being all confused at first, but when she finally chooses her faction, that of the courageous ones, you realise how strong she may be.

She is confident, devoted and stands up for herself, which is why I thoroughly enjoyed her character.

Four is one of the trainers of Dauntless. He is Tris' love interest. He is mysterious and very devoted to being a Dauntless.This guy had issues with himself. At times, he was totally supportive of Tris and at other times he embarrasses her in front of everyone. However, throughout the book he grows to accept his feelings for Tris.

The romance between the two is sweet and they both complement each other according to me. It was a perfectly healthy relationship.

I also really liked the relationship between Tris and her mother. I have to say, I did not really think her mom would have been accepting of her choice to go into Dauntless, but she did surprise me. Tris' and her mother's relationship blossoms throughout the book.

As for the plot, the book does not really have a plot up until the very end. It's basically about Tris' initiation process. I believe the next will have more of a plot and will explore the other factions in more detail.

Veronica Roth writes very well. Her writing and characters are definitely not boring and I will read her other books as well.

Divergent is a winner for me. I enjoyed it and I actually read it in a single night.
I look forward to reading the next book Insurgent, which comes out next year.


Rating

Cover : 5/5
Plot : 5/5
Characters : 5/5
Writing : 5/5






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)