Nick's Random Gibberish (27) : Broadening My Horizons

Nick's Random Gibberish is a weekly post here at Nick's Book Blog where I, Nick, will talk about random topics from personal posts to discussion posts.

Hi everyone!

I hope you all had a lovely weekend. I can't believe how it's already a week into August. Time sure does fly by. Today, I wanted to talk a bit about broadening my horizons when it comes to reading. It's a topic that I've been thinking about since the beginning of summer and spurred this post randomly. 

I don't know about you guys, but I'm stuck in this cycle of reading the same genres of books. For the most part, I read contemporary, fantasy, dystopias, historical fiction and some adult contemporaries and historical fiction novels. I can't help but feel that I'm missing out on other genres. I'm someone who settles when I find a genre I enjoy. I used to only read murder mysteries for 2-3 years because I was so comfortable in my bubble and unwilling to step out of my comfort zone and seek other books. The popularity of Twilight is what pushed me into trying YA and started my love affair with it. Now, I feel like I'm stuck in specific sub genres of YA and too scared to explore other genres that I might actually enjoy.

Image Source

This past summer, I've been trying to read books that I don't normally read. Earlier, I read the Kate Daniels series and fell in love with UF. I proceeded to pick up The Veil by Chloe Neill a few weeks ago and once again LOVED it. Urban Fantasy isn't the only genre I tried this summer. I read my first adult/NA M/M romance novel - Him by Elle Kennedy and Sarina Bowen. Guys, I LOOVED it. I was nervous starting out because I hadn't ever read an adult M/M book before, but I love Elle Kennedy so I wanted to give it a shot and my mind was blown!! Horror is also a genre that I don't actively seek out. But I tried Kim Liggett's Blood and Salt and thought it was so much fun and want to try more. There are many more genres that I don't read because I'm way too nervous that I'm not going to enjoy them. I want to change that though because I feel like there are tons of books I would actually like reading but because I'm stuck in this limbo with specific genres of books.

Image Source

So why am I rambling about this with you all? Because I want your help! Recommend me books from genres that I don't normally read in the comments below. Right now, I'm looking for more UF series, M/M books and horror but if you think there are other genres that I would love, go ahead and let me know in the comments below. I'm going to challenge myself to read 1 or 2 books from your recommendations every month.

Image Source

What about you guys? Do you also feel like you don't like to step out of your comfort zones? Let me know in the comments below!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)