Review : Falling for His Best Friend by Katee Robert

Summary (from Goodreads) 

Title : Falling for His Best Friend
Author : Katee Robert

Publication Date : May 19th 2015
Publisher : Entangled Brazen
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble

Avery Yeung’s biological clock just went off early. Thanks to her family’s medical history, she’s running out of time to get knocked up. And the only guy within donating distance? Her overprotective—and irritatingly hot—best friend. So clearly she needs an anonymous donor…

Anonymous donor? Over Sheriff Drew Flannery’s dead body. While daddyhood will never be in the cards for a man with his past, Drew won’t let Avery shop for a “popsicle pop.” He’ll do what’s right for his best friend by doing his best friend. But only if they do it properly.

But there’s nothing “proper” about it. Between the bed, the kitchen counter, and against his squad car, Avery and Drew are having the hottest sex ever. They can’t get enough of it—or each other. And without knowing it, they’ve crossed the one line that could ruin their friendship forever…


Personal Thoughts

Entangled's Brazen line is one of my favorite guilty pleasure lines. I love reading these short, sexy and fun books. I was looking forward to reading Falling for His Best Friend because it had one of my favorite romance tropes: best friends fall for each other. This book didn't work as well as I expected it to, unfortunately.

First of all, can I just say how appreciative I was that the author made the main character in this book, Avery, an Asian American protagonist? Wohoo for diversity and for non-stereotypical portrayal of diversity. Avery was certainly a likeable character and I liked that she knew what she wanted out of life and was ready to make the necessary plans. Having to potentially deal with a hysterectomy in her future has scared her and she's ready to have a biological child. When she announces to her best friend Drew that she has plans for artificial insemination, he proposes to be her baby daddy. Drew wasn't a character that I loved at first glance. His behavior came across as odd to me at certain times and I also disliked his treatment of Avery towards the end of the book. I understood where he was coming from given he didn't exactly have great role models in his life, but it also bugged me because he and Avery had been friends for such a long time and he basically cast her out without giving a proper explanation. He did win me over towards the end of the book when he tried to win Avery back. Those scenes were very sweet.

My main issue when it comes to Falling for His Best Friend would have to be the romance. I didn't feel emotionally invested in it. Their chemistry was a bit lacking and overall, I felt like their relationship lacked a special spark to it. Basically, I wasn't convinced by their relationship and I think it has a lot to do with just how they seemed more like friends than lovers. I have to admit that there were some sweet moments between Avery and Drew. Like I mentioned, the ending was one of my favorite parts of the book. I would have also liked to see more of Avery's family, especially her traditional Chinese grandparents. Despite my not loving Falling for His Best Friend, I am hoping that Avery's sister gets her own book because she would make for a complex and interesting character.

While I wasn't wowed by Falling for His Best Friend, I think it's a book that is worth checking out because it has 1) diversity, 2) interesting characters and 3) sweet romantic moments.

Rating 

Cover : 3/5
Plot : 3/5
Characters : 3/5
Writing : 3/5



  
Thank you to NetGalley and Entangled for the e-ARC of Falling for His Best Friend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)