Review : Overruled by Emma Chase

Summary (from Goodreads) 

Title :  Overruled (The Legal Briefs #1)
Author : Emma Chase

Publication Date : April 28th 2015
Publisher : Gallery Books
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble

As a DC defense attorney, Stanton Shaw keeps his head cool, his questions sharp, and his arguments irrefutable. They don’t call him the Jury Charmer for nothing – with his southern drawl, disarming smile and captivating green eyes – he’s a hard man to say no to. Men want to be him and women want to be thoroughly cross examined by him.

Stanton’s a man with a plan. And for a while, life was going according to that plan.

Until the day he receives an invitation to the wedding of his high school sweetheart and mother of his beloved ten-year old daughter. Jenny is getting married — to someone who isn’t him.

That's definitely not part of the plan.
***

Sofia Santos is a city raised, no-nonsense litigator who plans to become the most revered criminal defense attorney in the country. She doesn’t have time for relationships or distractions.

But when Stanton, her "friend with mind-blowing benefits" begs for help, she finds herself out of her element, out of her depth, and obviously out of her mind. Because she agrees to go with him – to The-Middle-Of-Nowhere, Mississippi – to do all she can to help Stanton win back the woman he loves.

Her head tells her she's crazy...and her heart says something else entirely.
***

What happens when you mix a one stop-light town, two professional arguers, a homecoming queen, four big brothers, some Jimmy Dean sausage and a gun-toting Nana?

The Bourbon flows, passions rise and even the best laid plans get overruled by the desires of the heart.


Personal Thoughts


Emma Chase's Tangled series is one of my favorite adult romance series, mostly because of Drew, the male protagonist. I was really excited to find out that she was writing a new series featuring lawyers. Overruled sounded like it would be so much fun, and boy was right. From start to finish, I had a hard time putting this book down because Emma Chase's writing is just so addicting.

Stanton was one funny male character. He obviously wasn't Drew level awesome, but I loved being inside his head. I know that many readers took issue with Stanton's lifestyle, that is, sleeping around while he was still in love with his baby mama and high school sweetheart, but surprisingly I didn't have much of an issue with it. Mostly, it was because it wasn't his idea in the first place, but it was Jenny who suggested that they have an open relationship while he pursued his successful career in DC. Stanton could be seriously frustrating at times, especially when he was blind to Sofia's love for him, but I still ended up enjoying his character because of the way Emma Chase wrote him to be. My favorite moments with Stanton definitely involves those with his daughter, who was pretty much precious. He really was a different guy around her and it was cute seeing how much love he had for her. I also really liked Sofia. Actually, she might have been my favorite Emma Chase heroine. She was smart, successful and confident in her sexuality, which made me admire her. I love female characters who are as driven as their male counterparts and Sofia was definitely that.

Overruled also had a slew of hilarious secondary characters. Jenny, Stanton's high-school sweetheart, wasn't someone I warmed up to easily, but I absolutely loved her grandmother, who was a riot! That old bat was crazy and she made for some funny scenes. The romance did take some time to really get going, almost 75% of the book, but the sexual chemistry between Stanton and Sofia was enough to satisfy me as a reader. I do wish Stanton had been able to open his eyes a little sooner and was ready to smack him in the head a few time especially because he was unknowingly hurting Sofia, but once the fog around him cleared up and and started wooing her for her attentions, I was swooning alongside with Sofia. Also, can I just say how thrilled I was to see Drew make a guest appearance? Despite the book's plot probably not appealing to many readers, Emma Chase's writing is worth reading it for. It's so addicting and I will read anything that she writes. I'm really looking forward to picking up Jake's book next. With that summary, it's bound to be one fun ride.

Overruled was a great start to a new Emma Chase series. While Stanton wasn't as remarkable as Drew, he and Sofia still managed to make a strong impression on me. Fun, flirty and sexy, this is the perfect book to read when you're looking for something lighter and funnier. Emma Chase, I need book 2!!

Rating

Cover : 4/5
Plot : 4/5
Characters : 4/5
Writing : 4/5


Thank you to Gallery Books for the finished copy of Overruled.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)