Review : Irresistibly Yours by Lauren Layne

Summary (from Goodreads)  

Title : Irresistibly Yours (Oxford #1)
Author : Lauren Layne

Publication Date : October 6th 2015
Publisher : Loveswept
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble

Meet the men of Oxford magazine! In the first captivating spin-off of Lauren Layne’s Sex, Love & Stiletto series, a not-so-friendly battle of the sexes turns into a scorching office romance.

Hotshot sports editor Cole Sharpe has been freelancing for Oxford for years, so when he hears about a staff position opening up, he figures he’s got the inside track. Then his boss drops a bombshell: Cole has competition. Female competition, in the form of a fresh-faced tomboy who can hang with the dudes—and write circles around them, too. Cole usually likes his women flirty and curvy, but he takes a special interest in his skinny, sassy rival, if only to keep an eye on her. And soon, he can’t take his eyes off her.

Penelope Pope knows all too well that she comes off as just one of the guys. Since she’s learned that wanting more usually leads to disappointment, Penelope’s resigned to sitting on the sidelines when it comes to love. So why does Cole make her want to get back in the game? The man is as arrogant as he is handsome. He probably sees her as nothing more than a barrier to his dream job. But when an unexpected kiss turns into a night of irresistible passion, Penelope has to figure out whether they’re just fooling around—or starting something real.


Personal Thoughts

Lauren Layne is an author who has consistently impressed me. Every book that she writes, leaves me feeling happy, entertained and completely satisfied. You guys might not know this about me, but I'm a huge fan of chick flicks, especially ones set in the Big Apple and Lauren Layne's books are very reminiscent of these chick flicks. Having loved her previous companion series, Sex, Love & Stiletto, I was eager when she announced that she was writing another series featuring the other side characters in the book. This first book was such a delight to read!

Penelope, the protagonist, was an instant hit with me. She was tom-boyish, a little insecure about her looks, but had a heart made of gold. This was a heroine who went to lengths to make her own life better. Plus, she was sporty and loved anything to do with sports. As a non-sports fan, I found her enthusiasm and passion for sports to be so refreshing! She's the kind of girl you want as a best friend. What made her so realistic to me though was despite being this sassy, and very confident young woman, she was at the same time vulnerable. Her insecurities about her rail thin body were especially highlighted in a tangible way. Fear not though, Penelope grew to become comfortable in her own skin and by the end, she had no doubt that she was just as beautiful as all of her shiny new friends.

Of course, she wouldn't have been as confident with the way she looked had it not been for Cole Sharpe, resident swoony boy and stealer of hearts. I've always had a bit of a crush on Cole, but in Irresistibly Yours he really brought about the charming and flirty side to a whole new level. I grew to love him even more than I previously did and I couldn't get enough of him and the humor he brought forward throughout the book. Cole's relationship with his older brother who had Down Syndrome was one of the highlights of the book for me. He truly cared for his brother and would go to lengths to keep him happy, sometimes sacrificing his own happiness. It was admirable and only served to make me fall harder for him.

Penelope and Cole's relationship could have easily started off on the wrong foot since they were both competing for the same job. As much as I enjoy antagonistic romances, I was glad that Irresistibly Yours took a different turn. Instead of becoming rivals, Cole and Penelope instead decide to become good friends who grew closer throughout the book. Lauren Layne is so good at writing these swoony and dreamy romances that leave you positively happy. I shipped Cole and Penelope so hard. Their banter, shared love for sports and understanding of each other were beautifully written. They were just so good together as a couple and Lauren Layne made me believe in their relationship.

Like with every romance novel, there was that classic misunderstanding towards the end that did occur and while it was a little bit frustrating for me as a reader, because I was so involved in their relationship and didn't want to see them being apart, it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the story. Besides the romance, I was very invested in the growing relationships between Penelope and the Stiletto girls. They were as usual a fun bunch and I loved seeing them being all happy again with their significant others in Irresistibly Yours. And there are certain new characters whose books I can't wait to read either.

All in all, with Irresisitbly Yours, Lauren Layne started off this new series on a high note for me. If you love reading books that are romantic and have a lot of heart to them, then definitely try any of this author's contemporary romance novels. I can't wait to get to read more!

Rating 

Cover : 4/5
Plot : 4/5
Characters : 4/5
Writing : 4/5



 Thank you to NetGalley and Loveswept for the e-ARC of Irresistibly Yours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)