Review : Unrequited by Jen Frederick

Summary (from Goodreads) 

Title : Unrequited (Woodlands #4)
Author : Jen Frederick

Publication Date : April 13th 2015
Publisher : Self-Published
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble

Winter Donovan loves two things: her sister and her sister's ex boyfriend. She's spent her whole life doing the right thing except that one time, that night when Finn O'Malley looked hollowed out by his father's death. Then she did something very wrong that felt terribly right.

Finn can't stop thinking about Winter and the night and he'll do anything to make her a permanent part of his life, even if it means separating Winter from the only family she has.

Their love was supposed to be unrequited but one grief stricken guy and one girl with too big of a heart results in disastrous consequences.


Personal Thoughts

When it comes to this series and new adult, Jen Frederick can do absolutely no wrong. If you didn't know this yet, the Woodlands series is one of my all-time favorite NA series. It's got everything that I ask for from a romance book : delicious swoony heroes, loveable female protagonists, and romances that make me envious. I've been waiting a long time to read this latest installment of the series and having loved all of the previous books in the series, my expectations were sky high. But I had nothing to worry about because Jen Frederick delivered in every way.

Winter Donovan was one heck of a strong woman, in ways that weren't overt. Winter was the kind of person who put other people's needs before hers. I both admired and despised the loyalty she had towards her older sister, Ivy, who let me tell you, was a piece of work. Despite everything that Ivy made her go through, Winter remained loyal towards her and was ready to go to lengths to keep her happy. It was one quality that I really appreciated about Winter because it made her so real. Also, can I just add how much I adored the fact that Winter was an Asian protagonist? Kudos to the author for portraying her in a realistic and non-stereotypical way! Winter was also a character that underwent tremendous amounts of growth throughout the book with the help of Finn. I sort of resented her loyalty towards her awful, needy sister at first, but it was important for her character development. By the end of the book, she had not only grown a spine, but she had obtained the courage to prevent people from manipulating and walking all over her. She couldn't have done it without the support of the very swoony Finn! I loved the glimpses of Finn in the previous books, so I was really excited that we got to know him. He was also going his fair share of issues, having recently lost his father and Winter was there to act as his anchor. Bo is my favorite boy in this series, but Finn definitely comes close. He was a real sweetheart and very easy to fall head over heels in love with.

The romance between Winter and Finn might initially seem icky, mostly because Finn and Winter's psycho sister, Ivy dated in the past, but Jen Frederick made it worked. She dealt with it all very nicely and I was never weirded out by it. The romance not only had its seriously steamy moments, but it also filled with sweet emotional moments as well. My favorite part about Winter and Finn's relationship was how they propelled each other to grow up as individuals. Theirs was not a smooth sailing beginning, but I had hope for them because they complemented each other really well. I also liked how Finn was so willing to chase after Winter and not give up on her. Very romantic! Jen Frederick also writes some very steamy sexy times scenes and I admit that those got a little too explicit for my tastes. I wound up skimming them because I was a little uncomfortable, but it didn't tamper with my enjoyment of the book. I also loved that we got to see some of the other characters make guest appearances. When my husband Bo made an appearance, I was flailing in excitement and I think I fell in love with him even more in this book because of his interactions with AM. I love that boy so much! Add to that Jen Frederick's addicting writing style, Unrequited was a winner for me.

Fans of this series will be immensely satisfied with the latest companion novel in the Woodlands series. And for those of you who are NA fans but have yet to read this series, I'm begging you to give this a shot. Trust me, you'll love it!

Rating 

Cover : 4/5
Plot : 4/5
Characters : 4/5
Writing : 4/5





Thank you to Jen Frederick for the e-ARC of Unrequited (and gracing me with Bo <3 br="">

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)