Review : Taking What's His by Diane Alberts

Summary (from Goodreads) 

Title : Taking What's His (Shillings Agency #4)
Author : Diane Alberts

Publication Date : April 28th 2015
Publisher : Entangled Brazen
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble

A sexy category romance from Entangled's Brazen imprint...

Some lines are meant to be crossed...

One explosive device was all it took to turn Holt Cunningham from ass-kicking Marine to IT technician. Hell, he's still not over it. So when the cute little strawberry blonde at the bar asks him to kiss her, Holt can't resist the temptation of a sexy distraction. Before he knows it, she's blown his mind...and then skipped out the next morning.

Lydia Thomas never expected things with Holt to go quite that far, but oh, it was worth it. After being far too good for way too long, she was ready to be bad. Except that there's that tiny detail that Lydia kept to herself-Holt just spent the night doing naughty things...with his best friend's little sister.

One night isn't nearly enough. But with his friendship on the line, how far will Holt go in order to claim what's his?


Personal Thoughts

From time to time, I like to pick up an Entangled Brazen book as a palette cleanser. They are short, sexy and a lot of fun to read. When I found out that Holt, the main character in this book, was a nerd, I was all over it. Sure enough, I got out of Taking What's His exactly what I wanted : a fun and steamy read.

Taking What's His had one of my favorite tropes in romance books ever: the older brother's best friend trope. There's just something about the forbidden element to this trope that makes books very exciting. Lydia was a great main character. She was a good girl who was looking for some excitement in her life after her boyfriend dumped her. I liked Lydia's character. I especially enjoyed the fact that she was willing to go after what she wanted simply because she was passionate about it. While looking for some excitement, she meets the nerdy, but sexy as heck, Holt. Can I just say how glad I am that we are getting some seriously sexy nerds in romance books lately? Seriously, there is nothing more attractive to me than an intelligent and intellectual man. Oh and did I mention Holt was also a military man? Talk about the complete package! Another bonus? He was a dirty talker. As soon as Holt and Lydia met, I could sense all the sparks between them. They had some hot, hot, hot chemistry together and phew, the sexy times had me blushing hard even though I was reading this book alone in my room. Because Holt was also battling with PTSD from his time in the military and because Lydia is also his best friend's sister, they did have a few obstacles. Most of them because Holt had a tendency to be quite bull-headed. Still, he could not resist the strong pull he felt towards Lydia and that led to many swoony scenes. Despite how much he tried to push her away, there was no denying that these love birds were meant to me. Diane Alberts' writing was a lot of fun and I'm definitely going to check out more books by her in the future.

All in all, Taking What's His was a fun and sexy read that I had a hard time putting down. If you're in the mood for a quick, but swoony read, I highly recommend this book.

Rating 

Cover : 3/5
Plot : 4/5
Characters : 4/5
Writing : 4/5




Thank you to NetGalley and Entangled Brazen for the e-ARC of Taking What's His.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)