Nick's Random Gibberish (7) : Reading, Blogging and My Social Life

Nick's Random Gibberish is a weekly post here at Nick's Book Blog where I, Nick, will talk about random topics from personal posts to discussion posts.

Hi guys!

I was inspired to write today's post my something that recently happened to me. I realized that I had no friends and only acquaintances and I question whether reading and blogging had an impact on my social life.

I have always been somewhat introverted and shy. I'm not very outgoing and because of my shyness, I've had a hard time making friends all throughout my life. I'm 21 years old now and I still don't know how to make friends. I thought coming to college would mean that I would find that best friend that I never had while growing up, but nada! I'm a senior in college and I'll be graduating without having the kind of buddies-for-life that I thought I would have. 

I have to wonder if my reading and blogging life has interfered with my social life. I'm the kind of person who likes going to dinner or to the movies. I hate partying, which seems to be the most common activity of American college students. Every time classmates ask me what I'll be doing over the weekend, I'll say something along the line of "reading, watching a movie, doing homework", they'll give me a look implying that I'm pathetic. It's the same with alcohol consumption or smoking weed. When people ask me if I drink or smoke, which I don't, I'll say no and they'll look at me like I'm some abnormality. I don't know what it is, but I've never been tempted to drink or to smoke. I've certainly had the opportunity presented to me, but I've never felt the urge to do either of those things. 

Is something wrong with me? Is it because I devote so much time to reading and blogging, activities that I really really enjoy? Why can't I seem to make friends as easily as others? Does being a heavy reader and an introvert make me repulsive to people in a sense? These are unfortunately questions that I'm still trying to answer, in vain! I wish I knew what I could do to try to be more social, but if it means giving up my reading and blogging time, I'm not ready to do that. 

Enlighten me, dear readers! Share a little bit about your social lives? Do you often find that reading and blogging interfere with it? 
Be sure to let me know in the comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)