Review : Remember Me by Romily Bernard

Summary (from Goodreads) 

Title : Remember Me (Find Me #2)
Author : Romily Bernard

Publication Date : September 23rd 2014
Publisher : Harper Teen
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble 

In the sequel to Find Me, Wick Tate, sarcastic teen hacker, is back and once again dealing with criminals and corrupt cops…and a brooding new love interest. Will Wick persevere when some secrets refuse to stay hidden?

Wick had thought her troubles were over.

But she should’ve known better.

Not only is she embroiled in a new murder case, which starts with a body with “Remember Me” carved into it and doesn’t stop there, but she also discovers new evidence surrounding her mother’s suicide…which leads her right back to her imprisoned deadbeat dad. And she has to deal with her flirty new hacker friend, Milo, sniffing around—which her boyfriend, Griff, isn’t too happy about.

The pressure might be too much as secrets—including Wick’s own—climb to the surface.

Remember Me is an edge-of-your-seat thrilling read that’ll have readers turning the pages at lightning speed!


Personal Thoughts


The first book in this series was a pleasant surprise for me. It wasn't an unpredictable and shocking kind of book, but it entertained me and had a strong protagonist who was easy to root for. Remember Me, though, wasn't that memorable for me and it had some second-book-syndrome elements to it that grated on my nerves.

Wicket was a much different character in this book. She was still her sarcastic and snarky self, but her personality had grown much darker from the previous book. She was battling with the PTSD that came after the events of Find Me and I thought that part was explored beautifully in Remember Me. What I didn't like about her character in this book though, was how she kept pushing her boyfriend Griff away and the whole "I'm going to break up with you because I'm protecting you" storyline just really bugged considering how much of a help Griff was to her. I appreciated her not letting Griff dictate her life choices, but I didn't like how she kept things from him. Secret keeping in a relationship is almost cliched in YA books now and I think I may be over it. I need to see my couples work together through their issues as a team, not hide things and then end up regretting them. I did really like the role that Wick's stepmom played in the book. She was someone I loved from the first book for how supportive and caring she was to Wick and her sister. I wish we had been able to see more from her here though. Detective Carson was also back being his skeevy self, bothering Wick and basically blackmailing her. He's a bit of an unrealistic character, but he did add a lot of tension to the story which I liked.

As far as the murder mystery went went, I wasn't exactly impressed by it mostly because it was predictable and I knew who the guilty party was the minute he/she was introduced. This was also the case with the first book, especially since the author tried to divert the reader's attention from the character. Still, despite the predictability, Romily Bernard has a very addicting writing style that had me flipping through the pages. What I didn't appreciate at all in this second installment was the completely random addition of a second love interest for Wick. I felt like someone forced the author to add a love triangle in this sophomore novel to create romantic tension between Wick and Griff and it was completely unnecessary. Milo, a fellow hacker, was creepy to the core with his fanatic behavior when it came to Wick. I felt like he didn't really add much to the book other than to be part of this weird love triangle that, personally made no sense to me.

All in all, this was a weak book compared to Find Me. It's definitely readable, but there were elements that I think will frustrate certain readers. I'm crossing my fingers that the characters and the story will pick up again in the final book of the trilogy. This isn't the best YA mystery series out there, but I would recommend these books if you're looking for something fun.

Rating

Cover : 4/5
Plot : 3/5
Characters : 3/5
Writing : 4/5


Thank you to Harper Teen and Edelweiss for the e-ARC of Remember Me. 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)