Review : Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson ft. Danielle from Love at First Page

Summary (from Goodreads) 

Title : Amy and Roger's Epic Detour
Author : Morgan Matson

Publication Date : May 4th 2010
Publisher : Simon & Schuster
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble 

 Amy Curry is not looking forward to her summer. Her mother decided to move across the country and now it's Amy's responsibility to get their car from California to Connecticut. The only problem is, since her father died in a car accident, she isn't ready to get behind the wheel. Enter Roger. An old family friend, he also has to make the cross-country trip - and has plenty of baggage of his own. The road home may be unfamiliar - especially with their friendship venturing into uncharted territory - but together, Amy and Roger will figure out how to map their way


Personal Thoughts 
 Hi guys!

I have something a little different for you today! I buddy read Amy and Roger's Epic Detour with Danielle from Love at First Page, so we decided to write a review together. It was a lot of fun! I hope you enjoy! :)
Danielle : Amy & Roger's Epic Detour is one of those books that I've heard so much about over the last few years, and many of my blogger friends have been recommending it to me. I love a good road trip book as much as the next reader, but some of the details about Roger and his ex-girlfriend made me nervous to read it. Plus I read Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson earlier (have you read that, Nick?) and was disappointed that I didn't love it like everyone else seemed to. What if the same happened with this book? But I finally set my hesitations aside and took the plunge, and what I found was such an enjoyable, relaxing, and heartwarming read. I loved it!

Nick : I fell in love with Morgan Matson’s writing style ever since I read Since You’ve Been Gone and then I also tackled Second Chance Summer soon after, which I also loved. Both those books were 5 star reads for me. You did talk to me about not loving Second Chance Summer, and I can definitely see where you’re coming from. The main character was a tough one in that book. Anyways, so after loving both of Matson’s books, it was pretty clear that I was going to read Amy and Roger’s Epic Detour. I wasn’t as worried as you were, Danielle, because I knew that Morgan Matson + Road Trip = Epic Book! Surprise, surprise! I loved it! And Danielle, I’m so happy you loved it too! I hope that means that you will also read Since You’ve Been Gone, which is my favorite by Morgan Matson.


Danielle : I definitely plan to soon! The first thing that caught my attention - and what separates it from your normal YA road trip book - is the scrapbook style Matson incorporates. Included on some of the book's pages are drawings done by Amy and Roger, maps, receipts from restaurants and hotels and gas stations they visit, pictures, postcards, and - my favorite - playlists. These details made the story come alive in a way straight narration couldn't, adding a layer of authenticity and realism. I felt like I was in the back seat of Amy and Roger's car, taking part in their journey. It's also a great way for us to get to know these two characters better: some of Amy and Roger's quirks, their likes and dislikes, their humor, their taste in music (him: punk/indie, her: musicals); even seeing their "handwriting" made them seem more like actual people to me. I think the reading experience was that much more easy and pleasurable because of these small page breaks.

Nick : I thought the addition of the scrapbook style was a unique and creative idea. I agree that if made the adventures that they went on much livelier. And like you said, we also get glimpses into the characters’ personality traits that we didn’t get to see in the book. That was the best part of it for me. I'm typically a character-driven reader, so I love getting to know my characters on a deeper level and the scrapbook helped. The playlists were also great. I love it when books have playlists. I don’t normally listen to music while I’m reading, but if a book lists songs, I make sure to list them down and listen to them afterwards. I’ve actually discovered some new bands and musicians that way! I have to admit though that looking at some of those postcards, pictures and receipts on my e-reader was a bit of a pain. I couldn’t zoom in on some of the texts, which made it hard to read them and completely enjoy it. This book is one you should probably read in a physical copy format or maybe a bigger reader like an iPad? Did you read it in an e-book format, Danielle?

Danielle : I actually bought a physical copy myself, which sounds like way the to go. The scrapbooking is integral to the story line - being able to see it and read it properly is important - so definitely take that into consideration, friends! Nick, you mentioned you're a character-driven reader and I'm the same way. If I don't like the MC(s) or they don't resonate with me emotionally, that will more often than not sour the whole reading experience. Thankfully that isn't a problem with this book. It's interesting that two of Morgan Matson's heroines are grieving for their fathers, but whereas I felt a certain distance from Taylor (from Second Chance Summer), I connected to Amy immediately. Despite the walls she has erected between herself and everyone else, her voice immediately drew me in. She's one of those characters I could see myself being friends with in real life: laid back, easy to be around, endearing character traits. This road trip she takes with Roger is as much an internal and emotional one as it is a physical one. Every emotional beat, each step she takes in the healing process, feels genuine and natural. My heart was definitely aching for that girl. Then there's Roger. I adore this boy! He's not your usual YA love interest; he doesn't exactly stand out for any particular reason. He's not cocky and arrogant with a dangerous charm, he's not overly funny, nor does he really pursue Amy like I'd normally like to see. What makes him so amazing is how down to earth he is. He's simply a kind, patient, and caring guy, and he fits naturally into Amy's world. I admit to not liking how obsessed he is at the beginning with getting back together with his ex-girlfriend, who is so obviously not the right girl for him. But it's less of an annoyance than I expected it to be and not something that's actually brought up too often. Do you feel the same way, Nick?

Nick : I felt the same way about Amy as you did. I found it easy to bond with her character, and that didn't come as much of a surprise to me because I've bonded with all of Morgan's main characters. What I liked the most about her was how strongly her feelings came through to me. Matson has this ability to describe the raw emotions of her characters in a realistic way and Amy's character was no different. Everything that she felt, I felt. Like you said, Danielle, she was undoubtedly a closed-off person, but she was completely endearing and you just want to hold, hug and console her. I couldn't help but root for her to finally let go of the guilt and sorrow over her father's accident. Throughout the road trip, Amy's growth was the highlight for me, especially as she became more open and more courageous. Roger, on the other hand, I was a teensy bit wary of. I loved how devoted he was to his ex-girlfriend and that he was willing to go to lengths to try to fix things between them, but I was a bit annoyed with how he drove himself nuts because of that. I appreciate a guy who is willing to work for his relationship, but part of me was frustrated with him because of my selfish reasons ; I was shipping him so hard with Amy and I just wanted them to be together and I knew that as long as he was obsessed with getting back with his girlfriend, nothing significant (read kissing) was going to happen between them. I eventually grew to love him, as expected when he finally let go of his ex, but even before then, Roger was such a sweet guy. He's the kind of guy I wish every YA fictional boyfriend would be like, instead of the very common jerks we get in YA.

Danielle : Ha, agreed! I guess it's a good thing that he's devoted to one girl, but I wanted that girl to be Amy! Even from the beginning they had an easy friendship, since he never pushed her too hard to open up and she grew completely comfortable around him. I think there's a subtle shift for Roger that's very important; meeting up with his ex-girlfriend went from being about possibly getting back together with her to wanting to know why she suddenly broke things off. I can understand his determination to find that answer. Then there's me, imagining myself in the backseat of the car and squishing Amy and Roger's faces together. This book is, like, the epitome of a slow burn romance, and then it seems to ignite all at once (cue butterflies). Even though the book takes place over a very brief time period, it never turns into insta-love. Amy and Roger share nearly every page together, and their friendship is built so carefully and delicately. I had no trouble believing that their feelings eventually went beyond friendship. By that point I was actually sighing with relief. I think, if anything, I wanted more. There's not many pages left in the book by the time they decide to act on their feelings, even though what we're given is undeniably sweet. I just wish the trip didn't have to end at their beginning, you know?

Nick : Haha! Yes, that's why I wanted Roger to forget his ex-girlfriend already. I basically needed Amy and Roger to make out. I absolutely LOVED the romance in Amy and Roger's Epic Detour. Most people are never fond of insta-love and Matson gave us the complete opposite of insta-love. The slow burn was undoubtedly my favorite part. I loved how they started as two strangers in a car ride, to friends and eventually to two people who cared and loved each other. I agree that even though the trip was rather short, their romance didn't feel rushed in any way. I think that's because they were constantly in each other's presence throughout the road trip in a confined space, and they got to know each other well, mentally and emotionally. I agree with you on that last point. I felt like by the time their relationship started to progress into the next level, the book ended. It almost has an open ending of sort when it comes to the romance, but we did get glimpses into Amy and Roger still going strong in the future in Since You've Been Gone, which made me feel better about that ending. It's a good thing I read Since You've Been Gone first though and knew about Amy and Roger's "appearance" in that book, otherwise I would have been a bit mad.

Danielle : I have not read Since You've Been Gone yet, so count me in the party of being frustrated with that ending. BUT. Dear readers, you'll want to pay attention to this last part. When I was going through the book again before writing this review, I noticed something on the last page before the acknowledgements. Be sure you look at the date of that last receipt (and remember, Amy and Roger's trip takes place in June.) It made me feel a lot better about their future. :)

Nick : I actually didn't notice that until you mentioned it, but I rushed to check the book as soon you did and it made me want to do a little happy-dance. Even without the receipt, Amy and Roger felt like the forever kind of couple to me. You just know that two people who connect so deeply will last forever. Amy and Roger's Epic Detour might be a story about a girl gradually getting over her grief and guilt, but it wasn't overly sad and the happy moments, the road trips and the romance gave so much of hope. I'm so glad I read this and thanks Danielle for reading and reviewing this with me.

Danielle : Couldn't have said it better myself. A big thanks to you, too, Nick! This was lots of fun! =)

Rating
Cover : 4/5
Plot : 4/5
Characters : 4/5
Writing : 4/5



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)