Review : Not in the Script by Amy Finnegan

Summary (from Goodreads) 

Title : Not in the Script (If Only #3)
Author : Amy Finnegan

Publication Date : October 7th 2014
Publisher : Bloomsbury Children's
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble

Millions of people witnessed Emma Taylor’s first kiss—a kiss that needed twelve takes and four camera angles to get right. After spending nearly all of her teen years performing on cue, Emma wonders if any part of her life is real anymore . . . particularly her relationships.

Jake Elliott’s face is on magazine ads around the world, but his lucrative modeling deals were a poor substitute for what he had to leave behind. Now acting is offering Jake everything he wants: close proximity to home; an opportunity to finally start school; and plenty of time with the smart and irresistible Emma Taylor . . . if she would just give him a chance.

When Jake takes Emma behind the scenes of his real life, she begins to see how genuine he is, but on-set relationships always end badly. Don’t they? Toss in Hollywood’s most notorious heartthrob and a resident diva who may or may not be as evil as she seems, and the production of Coyote Hills heats up in unexpected—and romantic—ways.

This novel in the deliciously fun If Only romance line proves that the best kinds of love stories don’t follow a script.

 
Personal Thoughts

You know those books that leave you with a goofy grin throughout the whole story? Amy Finnegan's Not in the Script was that kind of book. This book was such a lovely read! I just loved how happy it made me by the end with all the warm fuzzies.

Emma was an easy character to root for from the first instance we meet her. She was a TV star, but she was in no way conceited, spoiled or bratty, which I was thankful for. She was a complete sweetheart and she was genuinely nice to everyone around her. She carried a positive energy with her that brightened the pages. She was also independent, which can be a rare quality when it comes to teenagers these days. Additionally, Emma grew throughout the book, learning to not let people stomp all over her. Not in the Script was also told in the POV of Jake, Emma's new co-star and potential love interest. Jake was such a cute boy and you guys know how much I love my cute boys! He was also a hottie who got his start by modelling (YEP, I realize I'm being shallow!). Despite his good looks though, he was so unpretentious and so down-to-earth and he did everything to take care of his paralyzed mother (MAJOR SWOONS!). I loved this boy, if you can't tell from my complete fangirling. Emma's best friend, Rachel, was a character I pretty much despised from the start. She was such a jealous friend who basically used her friend and blamed her for her own failures. Emma continued to remain nice to her throughout by trying to get her gigs but I honestly would have kicked the girl out. But the rest of the cast in Emma and Jake's new show were fabulous and I loved their diverse personalities.

For me, what was really interesting was getting to see the behind-the-scenes when it comes to making a TV show. It was thrilling and all kinds of exciting and it made me glad that I never aimed to opt for a career in the film industry. Amy Finnegan sounded like she knew what really went on in Hollywood and it was very interesting for a lover of TV shows like me to see what really goes on into the production of a TV show. The romance, you all! It was so freaking adorable. I wanted these two kids to make out already (creeper alert!), because they were just so perfect for each other. My shipper feels were all over the place and I loved the slow burn nature of their romance. Even when they weren't a couple, their dynamic was fantastic. The banter between the two of them had be going "awww" on every page that they were together in. This was definitely one of my favorite romances and one that I'm going to cherish for a long time.Also, kudos to the author for keeping the drama to a low level. There was some drama, but it wasn't over the top and the kind that was intolerable.

Not in the Script was such a lovely and feel-good read. I can say with certainty this is a book I will re-read in the future whenever I need a book to cheer me up. Amy Finnegan is definitely one author to watch out for in the rom-com YA contemporary genre.

Rating 

Cover : 3/5
Plot : 4/5
Characters : 4/5
Writing : 4/5


Thank you to NetGalley and Bloomsbury for the e-ARC of Not in the Script.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)