Review : The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa

Summary (from Goodreads)

Title : The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden #2)
Author : Julie Kagawa 

Publication Date : April 30th 2013
Publisher : Harlequin Teen 
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble


In Allison Sekemoto's world, there is one rule left: Blood calls to blood

She has done the unthinkable: died so that she might continue to live. Cast out of Eden and separated from the boy she dared to love, Allie will follow the call of blood to save her creator, Kanin, from the psychotic vampire Sarren. But when the trail leads to Allie's birthplace in New Covington, what Allie finds there will change the world forever—and possibly end human and vampire existence.

There's a new plague on the rise, a strain of the Red Lung virus that wiped out most of humanity generations ago—and this strain is deadly to humans and vampires alike. The only hope for a cure lies in the secrets Kanin carries, if Allie can get to him in time.

Allison thought that immortality was forever. But now, with eternity itself hanging in the balance, the lines between human and monster will blur even further, and Allie must face another choice she could never have imagined having to make.


Personal Thoughts

I kept putting off The Eternity Cure because I'd heard that it had a cliffhanger and as most of you know, I don't deal very well with cliffhangers. So, when I got an ARC of The Forever Song, I immediately began reading The Eternity Cure, and wow! What a fantastic ride this book was! It surpassed all my expectations and it went far beyond the epicness of the first book.

Julie Kagawa is undoubtedly a  master at crafting characters. There's not a single character in this series who isn't developed in a complex way. Allie, the main character, has been a favorite of mine since book 1 and this book solidified my love for her. Allie is unlike any other heroine in that she struggles a lot with her being a vampire and doesn't become a badass who is comfortable in her own skin. Watching Allie grow throughout this series was possibly the best thing I've ever experienced while reading a book. She's fierce and brave when she needs to be, but she also has a vulnerable and humane side to her despite being a vampire, which makes her a loveable character. Over the course of the series, she learns to overcome her fears and adjusts into her life as a vampire. One of the most surprising characters in The Eternity Cure is Jackal. I hated his guts in the first book, but somehow, Julie Kagawa managed to turn him into a wonderful companion to Allie. He constantly pushes her buttons, but Allie definitely needed him. I also liked how he provided comic relief throughout the story, making me laugh despite the book being very dark.

The world-building in the first book was terrific. In The Eternity Cure, Julie Kagawa turned it up a notch. These are vampires that are predatory, dangerous and bloody and I absolutely loved it. The dark atmosphere in this series really helps to set your mood and Julie Kagawa's descriptive writing style amplified all the feelings I felt while reading the book. In addition, the plot was action-packed with twists and turns that made me gasp more than a few times. The author really knows how to weave a story line that can reel readers in and I was amazed by how invested in the book I was. The romance in The Eternity Cure is also so much deeper than in The Immortal Rules. Allie and Zeke's relationship is intense and I've always been wary of how they would ever end up together because of Allie being a vampire and Zeke vowing to never become one, but you can see that they care deeply for each other and that they make each other so much stronger. I knew that their relationship would have numerous obstacles, so when the end came, I shouldn't have been as emotionally destroyed as I was because I knew it was coming, but I still wanted to weep for these characters.

In the end, The Eternity Cure was a solid second book for me and I'm under the impression that Julie Kagawa can do absolutely no wrong. If you're tired of reading vampire/paranormal books that romanticize these paranormal creatures, then I suggest you read this series, because it portrays the evilness of vamps very well.

Rating

Cover : 3/5
Plot : 4/5
Characters : 5/5
Writing : 5/5


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)