Review : The Boyfriend App by Katie Sise

Summary (from Goodreads)

Title : The Boyfriend App
Author : Katie Sise
Publisher : Balzer + Bray
Publication Date : April 30th 2013
Goodreads - The Book Depository


In The Boyfriend App by Katie Sise, super-smart, somewhat geeky Audrey McCarthy can’t wait to get out of high school. Her father’s death and the transformation of her one-time BFF, Blake Dawkins, into her worst nightmare have her longing for the new start college will bring.

But college takes money. So Audrey decides she has to win the competition for the best app designed by a high schooler—and the $200,000 that comes with it. She develops something she calls the Boyfriend App, and suddenly she’s the talk of the school and getting kissed by the hottest boys around. But can the Boyfriend App bring Audrey true love?


Personal Thoughts

The Boyfriend App sounded like it offered something fresh in the YA contemporary genre what with the whole app making contest and all. I found myself thoroughly enjoying the first half of the book, but halfway through, the plot got ridiculous and stupid and I had a hard time getting through it towards the end.

Audrey the main character was a relateable character. She was one of those very geeky MC who was constantly gushing over her love for technology. She had a likable personality that made her very fun to read. Although I didn't connect with her on an emotional level, I still enjoyed being inside her nerdy head. Personally, my favorite character was Audrey's cousin, Lindsay. She was this fun, supportive and lovable girl who had a fashion blog. I loved how strong their relationship was. The love interest, Aidan, was a cute guy. I really liked him as a love interest because he was kind, caring and supportive. I also loved how he was Audrey's friend before anything else. The Boyfriend App did have a bunch of stereotypical characters such as the mean girls and the popular jocks, but they didn't bother me as much as I expected them to. Overall, the characters were a fun bunch!

The plot started off pretty strongly. Audrey needs money for college and right at that time a competition comes up to create an app. So, Audrey decides to create a Boyfriend App, that basically finds you your match within a close perimeter. I thought the idea was a lot of fun and like I mentioned, I was having a great time reading about it all. However, thing took a weird turn around the second half of the book. The story line got unrealistic and not at all believable which made it hard to fully enjoy the plot line. The situation that the author created exaggerated and I had hard time immersing myself back into the story. This probably would have been a 4 stars read for me had the second part not been there. Despite that, I liked Katie Sise's writing and I'm looking forward to reading more from her. The romance was my favorite kind ; it stemmed from a friendship between the two characters and it was cute and left me with warm and fuzzy feelings, especially since I loved Aidan.

Even though I had a few issues with the turn the plot took, it was an enjoyable read. My advice to you when you go into this book is to leave behind any kind of logic, not expecting the book to make any sense.

Rating


Cover : 4/5
Plot : 2/5
Characters : 3/5
Writing : 3/5



Big thanks to Edelweiss and HarperTeen for the e-ARC of The Boyfriend App.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)