Review : Going Vintage by Lindsay Leavitt

Summary (from Goodreads)

Title : Going Vintage
Author : Lindsay Leavitt
Publisher : Bloomsbury
Publication Date : March 26th 2013
Goodreads - The Book Depository

 
When Mallory’s boyfriend, Jeremy, cheats on her with an online girlfriend, Mallory decides the best way to de-Jeremy her life is to de-modernize things too. Inspired by a list of goals her grandmother made in1962, Mallory swears off technology and returns to a simpler time (when boyfriends couldn’t cheat with computer avatars).

The List:
1. Run for pep club secretary
2. Host a fancy dinner party/soiree
3. Sew a dress for Homecoming
4. Find a steady
5. Do something dangerous

But simple proves to be crazy-complicated, and the details of the past begin to change Mallory’s present. Add in a too-busy grandmother, a sassy sister, and the cute pep-club president–who just happens to be her ex’s cousin–and soon Mallory begins to wonder if going vintage is going too far.



Personal Thoughts

I knew once I saw the cover of Going Vintage that I wanted to read this book. It's cute, fun and the colors really pop out. Plus, I thought the idea behind the book was definitely very original. I'm glad to say that the book definitely lived up to my expectations.

I loved Mallory's character. She was young, confused and was just going through her first break-up. The range of emotions that she went through were palpable and very realistic. She was naive, insecure, innocent, wrong at times and a perfect representation of a teenager. Mallory is the kind of character who's easy to love. The fact that Mallory didn't just go into a depression upon learning that her boyfriend had been cheating on her with a girl he met on an online game, but instead learns to pick up the pieces and continue to go on with her life. Mallory took up the list very seriously and watching her try to complete the list was absolutely fantastic. Throughout the story, she underwent tremendous growth, making her even more likeable. I love a good heroine who's independent and isn't afraid to take up any challenges. That's exactly the kind of person Mallory was. The secondary characters were all fantastic in their own way. Oliver, the love interest, was entirely too adorable. Nerdy, but gorgeous, he was a charming character who made me swoon along with Mallory. If I had to compare him to any love interest, I'd say he's almost as awesome as Etienne St Clair from Anna and the French Kiss. I loved that he was so respectful of Mallory and always treated her like a gentleman. He was also always trying to help her out even though she didn't specifically ask for. Oliver, I'd say, was the adorable good guy that I seem to enjoy so much in my YA books. Mallory's family members also play an important role in this book and really appreciated that more than anything.

Plot-wise, this book was so much fun! Going Vintage wasn't just about a budding romance. It's a book about a character learning to find herself and about family bonds. Like I mentioned above, Mallory's family members were all very pivotal to the development of Mallory as a character. I especially enjoyed the strong bond between Mallory and her younger sister. They seemed to more like best friends than sisters. I definitely enjoyed all the scenes they were in together. The romance too was entirely too cute! It wasn't anything instant, but something that grew throughout the course of the story from a friendship to a romance. Mallory and Oliver made an adorable couple. I loved the amusing banter between them. When they were together, they made one hilarious couple with their multiple jokes. I'm not going to lie, Going Vintage isn't exactly a book with depth. It's simply a fun, fluffy kind of book that you'd want to read to cheer you up. I've never read anything by Lindsay Leavitt before, but after reading Going Vintage, I'm convinced that I should. Her writing style was simple, but so much fun to read. Going Vintage was the kind of book that I wanted to read until I reached the ending because it gave so many happy feelings.

All in all, Going Vintage is definitely a book that's worth the read. If you're looking for something cute, romantic with great character development, then this book is a must-read! Fans of YA contemporary will devour this book in a single sitting!

Rating


Cover : 4/5
Plot : 4/5
Characters : 4/5
Writing : 4/5



A Big Thank You to NetGalley and Bloomsbury for the e-ARC of Going Vintage.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)