Review : Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Summary (from Goodreads)

Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath. Now she’s returned—to her old life, her family, her boyfriend—before she’s banished back to the underworld . . . this time forever. She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can’t find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists. 

Nikki longs to spend these precious months forgetting the Everneath and trying to reconnect with her boyfriend, Jack, the person most devastated by her disappearance—and the one person she loves more than anything. But there’s just one problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who enticed her to the Everneath in the first place, has followed Nikki home. Cole wants to take over the throne in the underworld and is convinced Nikki is the key to making it happen. And he’ll do whatever it takes to bring her back, this time as his queen. 

As Nikki’s time on the Surface draws to a close and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she is forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole’s queen. 

Everneath is a captivating story of love, loss, and immortality from debut author Brodi Ashton. 

Personal Thoughts

Lately, most supernatural YA books that I've been reading haven't been enjoyable. I started Born at Midnight by C.C Hunter, but couldn't get into the book.
So, I was a little wary about starting Everneath. Most people I follow on Goodreads have found it really good. I must say they are right !

Everneath is the story of Nikki. Nikki is initially lost and sad. Her love for Jack makes her return to the Surface,which is the human world, after 100 years (6 months in Earth) from Everneath. She left her family and friends without saying goodbye properly. Now Nikki is back from the Everneath and she has 6 months left before she has to leave again, this time for good.
I enjoyed Nikki as a character. She was confused and desperate initially. She is always trying to protect the people she wants and she's ready to risk everything for them.
Throughout the book, I really felt for her. She suffers a lot, but she still tries to remain as strong as possible. Nikki is definitely not perfect. These characteristics made her seem very realistic. However, she bothered me a few instances. She comes back from the Everneath for Jack, but she does take a painfully long time to start talking to him. All this time she doesn't realize how much she's hurting Jack.
Nevertherless, I liked Nikki.

Jack used to be Nikki's boyfriend before Nikki was sucked into the Everneath. He is absolutely devastated by Nikki's departure. Before Nikki left, he used to be funny, bubbly and happy, but all that changes.
I really liked Jack. From the flashbacks in Everneath, you get to see how much he did care for Nikki. He was utterly sweet to her.

Cole is the complete opposite of Jack. He is also the immortal who feeds on Nikki's emotions and eventually takes her to the Everneath. He gives the impression that he is heartless, cold, manipulative and the bad guy. He endlessly and vainly tries to force Nikki to join him in the Everneath. However, as the story progresses, we realize how he slowly falls for Nikki. He is broken and conflicted.

Usually, when it comes to love triangles, I can easily decide which guy I like the best, but when it came to Jack and Cole, I truly didn't know who to choose. They are both good for Nikki for different reasons. The relationship between Nikki and Jack starts from friendship. It was a cute and healthy romance, according to me. 
On the other hand, Cole's and Nikki's relationship is one that progresses very slowly and up until the end, I didn't dawn on me what Cole's ulterior motives were.

The plot was intriguing and exciting at the same time. I thought that the Greek mythology was interesting and the author dealt with it very well. Her writing was simple. I'll admit, the whole flashback thing was a bit tiresome and difficult to grasp at first, but once you get used to it, it becomes easy to follow.
I thought that Everneath was a wonderful debut and that Brodi Ashton has immense talent. Everneath is a truly captivating story and I look forward to reading the next installment in this series.



Rating


Cover : 5/5
Characters : 4/5
Plot : 4/5
Writing : 4/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)