Review : Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler

Summary (from Goodreads)

Once upon a time, Hudson knew exactly what her future looked like. Then a betrayal changed her life, and knocked her dreams to the ground. Now she’s a girl who doesn’t believe in second chances… a girl who stays under the radar by baking cupcakes at her mom’s diner and obsessing over what might have been.

So when things start looking up and she has another shot at her dreams, Hudson is equal parts hopeful and terrified. Of course, this is also the moment a cute, sweet guy walks into her life…and starts serving up some seriously mixed signals. She’s got a lot on her plate, and for a girl who’s been burned before, risking it all is easier said than done.

It’s time for Hudson to ask herself what she really wants, and how much she’s willing to sacrifice to get it. Because in a place where opportunities are fleeting, she knows this chance may very well be her last….

Personal Thoughts

Bittersweet was my first Sarah Ockler book. I'd heard tons of great reviews about this book. Some reviewers have even compared it to Anna and The French by Stephanie Perkins. Fortunately, those reviewers were in fact right !
I absolutely enjoyed reading Bittersweet.

The story is about Hudson. She is a normal-town girl who once used to aspire to become a world-class skater. However, Hudson's dreams are shattered when her father betrays her. Now, Hudson bakes these amazing cupcakes for her mom's dinner.

Hudson was a very realistic character. She was easy to relate to. She wasn't perfect. In fact, she was far from it. Having had her dreams broken, she now refuses to believe that good things can happen to her. I really felt for Hudson because I knew exactly how shattered dreams could feel like. Skating used to be everything to her. Also, Hudson is friendly and caring. Her interactions with her best friend,Dani, and her brother, Bug, were really sweet.
Throughout the book, Hudson makes numerous mistakes, but in the end she tries to fix everything once she realizes the extent of her mistakes.
Hudson is someone who undergoes a lot of personal growth in this book.

The love interests in this book consist of Josh and Will. Both guys belong to the hockey team. Josh was kind, sweet, a little shy and caring. Will, on the other hand, was outspoken, quite manipulative but nevertheless a great character. It's obvious that I preferred Josh. I loved how he was always there for Hudson. I loved how sometimes he could act shy around her. I loved how he loved his sister. Basically, I loved Josh.
Now don't get me wrong, I liked Will too, but somehow, I thought he was using Hudson the whole time.

The secondary characters were also great in this book. Dani, Bug, Hudson's mom, the hockey team players, Kara and everyone else. 
I especially liked how they helped Hudson directly or indirectly in the book.

The romance in the book was predictable but, terribly sweet. It was the kind of romance that progresses slowly. I liked the pace of it. Hudson and Josh's relationship starts out from friendship and I always like that kind of romance because it seems a lot more real. It gives the relationship depth.

The plot of the book is basically about Hudson's attempt at once again achieving her dreams and what she learns through this attempt.
Sarah Ockler is a great writer and I liked how she started out each chapters by a description of all the cupcakes Hudson makes. It was mouth watering !

I truly liked this book. It was light and fluffy, the kind of book that leaves you feeling happy. I'll admit it was quite predictable, but nevertheless it was a great read !
I recommend it to fans of YA contemporary book.

Rating

Cover : 4/5
Plot : 4/5
Characters : 4/5
Writing : 4/5





Comments

  1. I'm having mixed thoughts about it. Everyone says it's good and everything, but I'm still reluctant LOL. I'll have to read an excerpt or so in order to decide.

    Glad to hear you liked it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)