Mini-Reviews : Chase Me by Tessa Bailey and Jinn and Juice by Nicole Peeler

Summary (from Goodreads) 

Title : Chase Me (Broke and Beautiful #1)
Author : Tessa Bailey

Publication Date : March 17th 2015
Publisher : Avon Impulse
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble

College drop-out, Roxy Cumberland, moved to New York with dreams of becoming an actress, but her dwindling bank account is quickly putting the kibosh on that fantasy. To make some quick cash, she signs up to perform singing telegrams. Her first customer is a gorgeous, cocky Manhattan trust-funder if she ever laid eyes on one. And what could be more humiliating than singing an ode to his junk, courtesy of his last one night stand? Maybe the fact that she’s dressed in a giant, pink bunny costume...

After a night out to celebrate winning his last case, lawyer Louis McNally II isn’t prepared for the pounding in his head or the rabbit serenading him from the front door. But the sassy wit and sexy voice of the girl behind the mask intrigues him, and one look at her stunning face—followed by a mind-blowing kiss against his doorjamb—leaves Louis wanting more.

Roxy doesn’t need a spoiled rich boy who’s had everything in life handed to him on a Tiffany platter. But there’s more to Louis than his sexy surface and he’s determined to make Roxy see it...even if it means chasing her all over NYC.


Personal Thoughts

Seriously guys, if you're a fan of quick sexy romances and haven't tried any Tessa Bailey books, then you're missing out. She's one of those authors I always turn to when I'm in the mood for a lighter read that can set my e-reader on fire. With Chase Me, she once again crafted such a story. As soon as I read that first scene in Chase Me and was dying of laughter, I knew I was in for one helluva of a ride. Chase Me has to be one of Tessa's funniest book and I loved how she was able to blend in humor and sexiness into one bright and shiny package. Louis, the love interest, was one heck of a swoony hero and like all of Tessa Bailey's heroes, was a top-notch dirty talker with the potential to blow up your  ovaries. Roxy, though, was a bit of a problematic heroine for me. I had a hard time enjoying her character because some of her choices being very questionable. The chemistry between Roxy and Louis was super steamy! It was smoldering. What was even better though was the banter they had. The comfort level they  had around each led to some fun fun fun conversations. I did get a little tired of the back and forth between Louis and Roxy towards the end, but that didn't really hinder my complete enjoyment of the book. If you're looking for a quick, sexy and hilarious read, I highly recommend Chase Me.

Rating 

Cover : 3/5
Plot : 3/5
Characters : 3/5
Writing : 3/5



Thank you to Edelweiss and Avon for the e-ARC of Chase Me.

Summary (from Goodreads) 

Title : Jinn and Juice (The Jinni #1)
Author : Nicole Peeler

Publication Date : April 7th 2015
Publisher : Orbit
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble

Cursed to be a jinni for a thousand years, Leila nears the end of her servitude—only to be bound once again against her will. Will she risk all to be human?

Born in ancient Persia, Leila turned to her house Jinni, Kouros, for help escaping an arranged marriage. Kouros did make it impossible for her to marry—by cursing Leila to live a thousand years as a Jinni herself.

If she can remain unBound, Leila's curse will soon be over. But Ozan Sawyer, a Magi with the ability to See, Call, and Bind jinn has other plans.
Oz needs Leila to help him penetrate Pittsburgh's steel-soaked magic, a juice potent but poisonous to supernatural creatures, in order to find a missing girl with her own mysterious connection to Kouros. Unfortunately for Leila, becoming Bound to Oz may risk more than just her chance to be human once more—it could risk her very soul...

Jinn and Juice is the first in a new series by fantasy writer, Nicole Peeler, set in a world of immortal curses, powerful jinni and belly dancing.


Personal Thoughts

I'm not going to lie, I was lured into reading Jinn and Juice because the cover was so attractive. Plus, I'm always looking for more jinn books, so I thought, why not? Jinn and Juice had both its strengths and its weaknesses and ultimately, I was left feeling a teensy bit disappointed and I don't think I will be picking up the sequel. I initially enjoyed the setting and the characters in the book, especially Leila's friends. But the more the story progressed, the more I began to lose interest. I was especially unhappy with the characterization of Oz, Leila's master. He was just so ... bland and he had the potential to be a sexy and charming character, but he ended up being more of a doormat. I was also not pleased with the romance, even though it had a forbidden romance, one of my favorite romance tropes. It screamed insta-love and I just wasn't a fan of how rushed everything was. I also didn't sense much chemistry between Oz and Leila, which ended up making the romance rather flat and without any sparks. What I did enjoy was the fast pace of the plot. It was a rather action-packed book and I enjoyed many of the revelations made. In the end though, I don't think Jinn and Juice was the book for me. I had far higher expectations.

Rating 

Cover : 3/5
Plot : 3/5
Characters : 2/5
Writing : 3/5

**Overall Rating : 2.5/5**

Thank you to NetGalley and Orbit for the e-ARC of Jinn and Juice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)