Mini-Review : We Were Liars by E.Lockhart

Summary (from Goodreads)
Title : We Were Liars

Author : E.Lockhart 
Publication Date : May 13th 2014
Publisher : Delacorte Press
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble


A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.

We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart.

Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.


Personal Thoughts

Before going into We Were Liars, I was quite excited. The blurb sounded mysterious and it was receiving some very strong reviews. The minute I read the first line, though, I knew that We Were Liars was not going to be the book for me. The writing style just wasn't up to my liking. It's written in a very strange way, with short sentences and chapters, which ultimately made the book seem a little choppy. Now, I do think it was the author's intentions to write it so in order to show the mental state of the main character, but unfortunately, it didn't work for me. It also didn't help that I couldn't connect with the main character in any way. There were definitely parts of the book that were highly entertaining and readers who typically enjoy "mind-fucks" kind of books will probably enjoy We Were Liars better than I did. When the writing got too irritating for me, I ended up DNFing the book. While I didn't enjoy We Were Liars, I think the reviews all say otherwise. Give it a shot! It's one of those books that you'll either love or dislike depending on your views on the writing style.

Rating
Cover : 4/5
Plot : 2/5
Characters : 1/5
Writing : 2/5


Thank you to NetGalley and Delacorte for the e-ARC of We Were Liars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)