Review : My Not So Super Sweet Life by Rachel Harris

Summary (from Goodreads)

Title : My Not So Super Sweet Life (My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century #3)
Author : Rachel Harris
Publication Date : April 21st 2014

Publisher : Entangled Teen
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble


Cat Crawford just wants to be normal—or at least as normal as a daughter of Hollywood royalty can be. And it looks like fate is granting her wish: she’s got an amazing boyfriend, Lucas; her fabulous cousin, Alessandra, living with her; and her dad planning his second marriage to a great future stepmom. That is, until her prodigal mother reveals on national television that she has something important to tell her daughter…causing a media frenzy.

Lucas Capelli knows his fate is to be with Cat, and he’s worked hard to win her over once and for all. Unfortunately, Lucas has his own issues to deal with, including a scandal that could take him away from the first place he’s truly belonged.

As secrets are revealed, rumors explode, and the world watches, Cat and Lucas discover it’s not fate they have to fight if they want to stay together…this time, it’s their own insecurities.

Well, and the stalkerazzi.


Personal Thoughts

I loved the first two books in this series. They were such fun and mindless reads that immediately lit up my mood. When Rachel mentioned that she was writing another Cat story, I was absolutely delight. While the first two books were more on the fun side, My Not So Super Sweet Life was more serious and I do think it's my least favorite out of all three books. However, that doesn't mean that this was awful by any means.

Cat has always been a little insecure and afraid to form new relationships. In this installment of the series, the reason for her insecurity, her superstar mother, barges back into her life claiming to want to form a bond with a daughter, but not only that, she also comes with a bombshell of a secret which turns Cat's life upside down. Cat wanting to connect with her mother and being so forgiving to the woman who abandoned her family was understandable considering she was a teenager, but at the same time, it was infuriating watching her dig her own grave. It's clear from the very start that Cat's mother doesn't really have the purest intentions and that she isn't just there to return to motherhood, so as a reader, it could be frustrating to watch Cat blindly go back into the arms of her mother. What's worse though is how she treats her father's fiancee, who has showered more love on Cat than her mother ever had. I was not happy at the hurtful words that Cat strew across her stepmom's face and it made me lose respect for Cat a little bit. Towards the end, Cat does begin to realize her mistakes and make amends for the consequences of her choices.

The person who really made this book a worthy read is Lucas. It was great to have his POV in addition to Cat's because it helped to ease my frustration with Cat in between chapters. He's genuinely one of the sweetest and the swoon-worthiest YA heroes I know. Plus, he's a good guy with a heart of gold. I loved how supportive he was of Cat and how he allowed her to make her decisions even though he didn't support them per se. He plans a date in this book that would have any girl melting into a puddle of goo! The date scene was probably my favorite part of the story. We are also introduced to a new character in the book, Ransom and while I was ecstatic for his appearance, I did feel like he wasn't as developed and complex as he could have been. I'm guessing there's going to be a book in his POV as well, so that might be a reason why his full story was not told.

Despite my annoyances with certain parts of the book, I did quite enjoy My Not So Super Sweet Life. It has some cute and romantic moments paired with more serious themes about growing up and learning to let go of people who make your life toxic. If you enjoyed the previous books in the series, you'll most likely enjoy this as well.

Rating 

Cover : 3/5
Plot : 3/5
Characters : 3/5
Writing : 4/5


Thank you to Entangled Teen for the e-ARC of My Not So Super Sweet Life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)