Review : The Treachery Of Beautiful Things by Ruth Frances Long

Summary (from Goodreads)

Title : The Treachery Of Beautiful Things
Author : Ruth Frances Long
Publisher : Dial Books
Publication Date : August 16th 2012

A darkly compelling mix of romance, fairy tale, and suspense from a new voice in teen fiction

The trees swallowed her brother whole, and Jenny was there to see it. Now seventeen, she revisits the woods where Tom was taken, resolving to say good-bye at last. Instead, she's lured into the trees, where she finds strange and dangerous creatures who seem to consider her the threat. Among them is Jack, mercurial and magnetic, with secrets of his own. Determined to find her brother, with or without Jack's help, Jenny struggles to navigate a faerie world where stunning beauty masks some of the most treacherous evils, and she's faced with a choice between salvation or sacrifice--and not just her own.


Personal Thoughts

I’m a sucker of gorgeous covers and The Treachery of Beautiful Things definitely has one beautiful cover. Honestly, going into the book, I had no idea what it was going to be about. I was actually very much surprised to learn that it was about fey.

Ten years ago, while walking through a dense forest along with her brother, Jenny’s life changed for the worst: Her brother Tom ended up being eaten up by trees.  Now ten years later, Jenny is convinced that he’s alive. While going back to the very same forest that gobbled up her brother, she steps into a world completely isolated from the real world. She enters the world of the fae.

I really enjoyed the characters in The Treachery Of Beautiful Things. While I wouldn’t exactly say that they were the kind that I could easily identify with, I can definitely say that they were a fun and lovable group.  My favorite character was definitely the main character, Jenny. She started off as a young and naĆÆve girl who blossomed into a beautiful strong character who is very much likable. I admired the strength and confidence that she possessed. Her love for her brother, Tom, was so profound that it was completely heartfelt. I don’t know what it is about sibling relationships, but they are always very touching and can make a book extremely enjoyable. I loved seeing her grow from this innocent girl to a girl who knew what she wanted and was ready to do anything to reach her goals. When she started a task, she put her heart and soul into it to ensure that she succeeded. Her devotion and her perseverance were very appealing personality traits of hers. Jack, on the other hand, was a character completely concealed in mysteries and secrets. It took me quite a while to figure out who he really was. The author took me by surprise when she revealed his nature to me. He was a very confused guy who was put in a terribly confusing dilemma when Jenny came rushing into his life. He could be someone very dedicated. Protective and sweet, he was a really caring guy. I also had a great time reading about the villains, most notable, Queen Mab and King Oberon. I thought the author did a great job at capturing their villainous attitude in a fantastic manner.

The world building in The Treachery of Beautiful Things was absolutely wonderful. Beautifully crafted, this was a world that I was completely immersed in. I loved how descriptive and vivid the writing style was. Every scene was painted into my mind while I was reading. The creatures and mythology anchoring the book were rich, complex and enthralling. It was easy for me as a reader to get lost in this beautiful world. However, I have two tiny complaints: I felt like some scenes, especially the action-packed scenes, were a little rushed and I didn’t really get to “feel” what was happening. Also, I thought there was something missing from the story to make it truly remarkable.  The romance, while not exactly the kind that has your heart palpitating, was sweet and very adorable.  It was almost fairytale-esque.  If you’re a fan of cute romances this will definitely appeal to you. The author’s writing style trickled with creativity and imagination. It was simple and flowed smoothly, tangling you in the plot line.

The Treachery of Beautiful Things is a book that fans of Julie Kagawa’s Iron Fey series might enjoy although it isn't as good as that one.  Intricate characters, stunning world building and a fast-paced plot are all contained behind this pretty cover. I definitely think it’s worth reading!

Rating

Cover : 4/5
Plot : 3/5
Characters : 3/5
Writing : 3/5

Actual Rating : 3.5/5



Big thanks to Penguin for providing me with an ARC of this book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)