Review : Unraveled by Jen Frederick

Summary (from Goodreads)

Title : Unraveled (Woodlands #3)
Author : Jen Frederick
Publication Date : January 18th 2014

Publisher : Self-Published
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble


Twenty-five-year-old Sgt. Gray Phillips is at a crossroads in his life: stay in the Marine Corps or get out and learn to be a civilian? He’s got forty-five days of leave to make up his mind but the people in his life aren’t making the decision any easier. His dad wants him to get out; his grandfather wants him to stay in. And his growing feelings for Sam Anderson are wreaking havoc with his heart…and his mind. He believes relationships get ruined when a Marine goes on deployment. So now he’s got an even harder decision to make: take a chance on Sam or leave love behind and give his all to the Marines.

Twenty-two year old Samantha Anderson lost her husband to an IED in Afghanistan just two months after their vows. Two years later, Sam is full of regrets—that she didn’t move with her husband to Alaska; that she allowed her friends to drift away; that she hasn’t taken many chances in life. Now, she’s met Gray and taking a risk on this Marine could be her one opportunity to feel alive and in love again. But how can she risk her heart on another military man who could share the same tragic fate as her husband?


Personal Thoughts

Jen Frederick is such a good romance writer. I know that when I open a book by her, I'm going to fall in love with her characters and swoon hard. I picked up Unraveled because I was getting sick of all the review books I was reading and wanted to spend some time with a book that I owned. Unraveled was exactly what I needed and it's only got me pining for more in this series with these delicious Marines!

Sam lost her military husband and she's only 22. She struggled with her grief and the overwhelming pressure from her in-laws who prevent her from really moving forward with her life unknowingly. Sam was an easy character to sympathize with. I can't even begin to imagine the sorrow that she was going through, but the author handled it really well. She's not ready for a relationship yet, but when she meets, Gray, things begin to change. She starts to feel once again and as much as she doesn't want to do anything with another military guy, she can't ignore the steaming attraction between them. Gray is also going through some obstacles in his life and doesn't want to trust anyone after his ex-girlfriend cheats on him. While my heart broke for both of these characters, I seem to have a softer spot for Sam. She was such a sweet girl and I wanted nothing more than for her to have the happily ever after that she clearly deserved. I loved watching her grow throughout the book, with the help of Gray, finding out what she really wants to do with her life. I also thought her love for knitting was adorable.

Gray was a total alpha-male. He was stubborn and took some time to see that what he had with Sam was truly special. He also did something crappy that separated the two of them for some time, but when he takes up Sam's hobby in order to help knit something for her the shard of ice he pierced in my heart started to melt. Gray and Sam were on fire when they were together! The pages oozed with sexual chemistry whenever they had a scene. It's the kind of romance where you can't wait for the couple to get it on already and when they do, it's completely worth the wait because Jen Frederick knows how to write some really sexy scenes. Their relationship wasn't all about sex though. They shared some sweet moments talking about their previous lives and together they helped each other move forward. I also loved the glimpses we got of the previous couple and I sincerely can't wait for Finn's story next because I just wanted to hug the guy in this book.

If you're looking for a steamy contemporary romance with adorable characters and a great romance to root for, I highly recommend this series.

Rating

Cover : 3/5
Plot : 4/5
Characters : 4/5
Writing : 4/5



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)