Review : Biggest Flirts by Jennifer Echols

Summary (from Goodreads) 

Title : Biggest Flirts (Superlatives #1)
Author : Jennifer Echols

Publication Date : May 20th 2014
Publisher : Simon Pulse 
Goodreads - Amazon 

Tia and Will’s lives get flipped upside down when they’re voted Yearbook’s Biggest Flirts in this sassy novel from the author of Endless Summer and The One That I Want.

Tia just wants to have fun. She’s worked hard to earn her reputation as the life of the party, and she’s ready for a carefree senior year of hanging out with friends and hooking up with cute boys. And her first order of business? New guy Will. She can’t get enough of his Midwestern accent and laidback swagger.

As the sparks start to fly, Will wants to get serious. Tia’s seen how caring too much has left her sisters heartbroken, and she isn’t interested in commitment. But pushing Will away drives him into the arms of another girl. Tia tells herself it’s no big deal…until the yearbook elections are announced. Getting voted Biggest Flirts with Will is, well, awkward. They may just be friends, but their chemistry is beginning to jeopardize Will’s new relationship—and causing Tia to reconsider her true feelings. What started as a lighthearted fling is about to get very complicated…


Personal Thoughts


I've been having a bit of a rough time with Jennifer Echols' books as of late. Despite that, I wanted to read Biggest Flirts because the synopsis made it sound like she was going back to her roots and how could I resist that adorable cover? Luckily, Biggest Flirts was an adorable read that managed to hook me in with the sassy heroine and the loveable hero.

Tia Cruz is undoubtedly what makes this book shine. She is funny, sassy and isn't afraid to mince her words. You can't help but love this crazy, but wild girl who loves to party but is also a secretly good student at school. She says the most hilarious things during the book and she is devoted to her friends. What I really loved about Tia was how confident she was with her sexuality. She's a girl who isn't a prude and isn't afraid to say that she enjoys hooking up. So often in YA books, teenage characters are portrayed as innocent virgins while the mean girl is of course a slut, so it was refreshing to see Jennifer Echols portray Tia as this sexually bold character. Tia wasn't all perfect though. She did bother me a little, especially in the beginning, when she kept pushing Will away, but her reactions made sense when her family history is revealed. Will was also a character that I really enjoyed. He was awkward at times, but he was the cutest. I just couldn't help but love his character. Despite loving both Tia and Will's characters, I have to admit that I was much more curious about the secondary characters including Tia's two best friends, Hannah and Kaye, and the guy she frequently hooks up with, Sawyer. I was delighted on finding out that their books will be next.

My favorite part of Biggest Flirts was the concept of the marching band. Both Tia and Will were members of the band and the scenes with them practicing were very entertaining. I was a bit wary of the romance at first because it seemed like it would go into the cheating territory and while it did go there for a very short period of time, it was handled in mature way by Tia and it didn't last for very long, so I wasn't as bothered by it. In addition, the chemistry between Tia and Will was great. I loved the banter between the two of them and I just couldn't help but root for these two adorable lovebirds. However, more than the romantic elements, Biggest Flirts is the story of Tia's journey to learning that her family does not define her and that she is her own individual being. It was a great message, in my opinion. Jennifer Echols' writing has a nice smooth flow to it that makes reading this book very entertaining.

Overall, Biggest Flirts was a book that I had a lot of fun reading and I can't wait to read the companion novels, especially Sawyer's story! If you like strong heroines and cute romances, this book will definitely appeal to you.

Rating
Cover : 4/5
Plot : 4/5
Characters : 4/5
Writing : 4/5






Thank you to Edelweiss and Simon Pulse for the e-ARC of Biggest Flirts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)