Review : The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead

Summary (from Goodreads)

Title : The Indigo Spell (Bloodlines #3)
Author : Richelle Mead
Publication Date : February 12th 2013
Publisher : Razorbill
Goodreads - The Book Depository


In the aftermath of a forbidden moment that rocked Sydney to her core, she finds herself struggling to draw the line between her Alchemist teachings and what her heart is urging her to do. Then she meets alluring, rebellious Marcus Finch--a former Alchemist who escaped against all odds, and is now on the run. Marcus wants to teach Sydney the secrets he claims the Alchemists are hiding from her. But as he pushes her to rebel against the people who raised her, Sydney finds that breaking free is harder than she thought. There is an old and mysterious magic rooted deeply within her. And as she searches for an evil magic user targeting powerful young witches, she realizes that her only hope is to embrace her magical blood--or else she might be next.


Personal Thoughts

While I loved the Vampire Academy series, I'm not such a huge fan of the Bloodlines series. The Bloodlines series started off rather bland for me, but since I love Richelle Mead, I continued to read the subsequent books. I'm glad I did. From what I'm seeing, the Bloodlines series is moving at a slow pace, but it's getting better. The Indigo Spell is, according to me, the best book in the series as of now.

Sydney started off in this series as a narrow-minded, a little unfriendly, but she was nice and I liked that she was a different sort of main character. I know a lot of people didn't enjoy her, but I found myself really liking her. Over the course of the series, she slowly matured and developed. I'm surprised by the amount of growth Sydney has undergone. She has become such a colorful and interesting character, in my eyes. Sydney has always had a wall built around her, not really letting anyone approach her, but she's slowly getting rid of that wall. In the Indigo Spell, she has become so much more open-minded and braver. I think many readers will appreciate her growth and will like the new Sydney. Adrian, the bad-boy vampire, has also grown. He has always been a huge charming flirt, but he also now has this sweeter side to him that makes him even more attractive. I'm glad that he finally got over Rose and starting to live his life like the old Adrian. His one-liners are probably my favorite aspect of this book. I also really loved the fact that he was caring and always willing to help Sydney out even though Sydney didn't always act nicely towards him. However, I was disappointed by the lack of secondary characters in this book. They were definitely present, but I felt like we didn't get to see them enough. I also need to talk about Marcus Finch. There was so much hype about this guy with all those "Who is Marcus Finch" blog posts, that nearly drove me nuts by the way! With all that hype, you'd expect him to be some majorly epic character. Unfortunately, he wasn't. He was barely even there in the book.

The Indigo Spell was more character-driven than plot-driven, like I mentioned. I personally miss the action-packed scenes that made the Vampire Academy series a strong and entertaining series. There were 2 plot lines in the Indigo Spell : the story of the old alchemists and Sydney's witch powers. I personally preferred the witch subplot because it was more developed and the story was more focused on that one. The romance in The Indigo Spell is amplified by a notch or two. There was so much of tension between Sydney and Adrian whenever they were in a scene together. I just couldn't wait for them to get together! A lot of readers are going to be very much satisfied with the romance, in my opinion. They shared some pretty steamy scenes and I can't wait to see where their relationship goes to in the future book. As usual, I have no complaints about Richelle Mead's writing. That woman is simply epic. She can write a book about something useless and I'm going to read it. She has a way with words that hooks you into her stories and helps you get immersed amongst the characters.

Overall, The Indigo Spell was a satisfying read. Although, it's a bit lacking in certain aspects, it's still a highly entertaining read. This is one book for Sydrian fans!

Rating

Cover : 3/5
Plot : 3/5
Characters : 4/5
Writing : 4/5

**Overall : 3.5/5**





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)