Review : Fireblood by Trisha Wolfe

Summary (from Goodreads) 

Title : Fireblood (Fireblood #1)
Author : Trisha Wolfe
Publication Date : December 10th 2013
Publisher : Spencer Hill Press
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble

To save a kingdom, Zara must choose between a prince who could be the answer and a rising rebellion that threatens to take control.

When Zara Dane is chosen to marry Prince Sebastian Hart, son of the man who ordered her father’s capture, Zara knows she must fight to save everything she loves from ruin.

Being betrothed to the prince means a life trapped behind the towering stone walls of the Camelot-forged realm. Under the watchful eye of the prince's first knight, Sir Devlan Capra, changing her future becomes difficult.

When an unlikely rebel reveals the truth about the deadly secrets that fuel King Hart’s twisted world, Zara’s path to rescue her father becomes clouded by deception. The Rebels clear her path by forcing Zara’s hand with an ultimatum: sway Prince Sebastian to join the Rebels, convincing him of his father’s evil nature, or they will take him out.

But Zara is uncertain about a future under the Rebels’ command and where the prince’s heart truly lies. She must decide who to trust, what to believe, and what she’s truly fighting for before the king destroys all of Karm, including her heart.


Personal Thoughts

I haven't had the best experience with Trisha Wolfe's YA dystopia series, but I did enjoy her NA book, The Darkest Path, so I was willing to give Fireblood a try. Plus, it's a high fantasy, a genre that rarely fails to impress me. Unfortunately, Fireblood was just not the book for me. In all honesty, it wasn't terrible, but there was nothing about it that made it stand out among other YA high fantasy books.

I wish I could tell you that I loved all of the characters. However, that was not the case. I didn't love the characters in Fireblood, not because they were bad or anything, but they were just bland and boring. I personally thought they were flat and needed more development to make me want to care for them. The main character, Zara, was so stereotypical. Nothing about her called to me and I never felt the emotions she went through throughout the book. She lacked spunk and a certain fire to make her memorable. In addition, Prince Sebastian, who chooses Zara to be his bride for reasons unexplained in the book, was an even flatter character than Zara. He was so much of the typical power-hungry leaders that are depicted in many YA books. Yet again, there wasn't even a strand of his personality that was interesting. Villains, if written well, can be quite intriguing and absolutely captivating, but not with Sebastian. Don't even get me started on the love interest, whose name I can't seem to even remember!

Like the characters, the plot was quite boring as well. Many times I wanted to stop reading but I continued in the hopes that it would get better. Once again, my biggest grievance with the plot was how unoriginal it seemed to be. The story of a girl trying to fight off an evil leader has been overdone now and frankly, becoming frustrating for me as a reader. The world-building was also weak and I had no sense of the background and history. In Fireblood, there is a Virus that is killing people and there were some interesting revelations regarding that, but I wanted to learn so much more about it. Had there been more details, I reckon I would have enjoyed Fireblood a bit more. Of course, you can't have a YA book without a romance, but the romance in this one was the kind I hate ; insta-love. I never got to watch the relationship between Zara and her love interest blossom into something realistic. Plus, I didn't understand why they fell for each other in the first place.

Personally, I think Trisha Wolfe is better at writing NA novels because she seems to understand the mindset of people in that age range. It's true that I did not have much luck with Fireblood, but that doesn't mean that you would also. If you're interested in the novel, I definitely recommend checking out other GR reviews.

Rating

Cover : 3/5
Plot : 2/5
Characters : 1/5
Writing : 2/5


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)